Editra Spellcheck not working since Ren'Py 6.99.11

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Wrouster

Editra Spellcheck not working since Ren'Py 6.99.11

#1 Post by Wrouster »

The name kind of explains the issue. I used to work with Ren'Py 6.99.8, though I updated my game to version 6.99.11 once it came out to use the new GUI (I was actually coding a similar GUI from scratch, so having something similar already done by default would save me a lot of trouble). The only problem is, once I updated Ren'Py to 6.99.11 the spellcheck function on Editra stopped working. I tried going to Preferences>General>Files and checking the "Check spelling whilst typing" button, but it was greyed out.
I ended up going for a bypass until a new update came out to fix this issue (in my case, i redownloaded Ren'Py 6.99.8 and opened Editra through it, closed it, and tested the game through 6.99.11 while using the Editra opened by the previous version).
Thing is, this is a really time-consuming thing to do every single time, especially because it doesn't work 100%. I thought the new version would make spellcheck work again but, alas, the same problem continues.
Is there something I can do to enable it again?

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

Re: Editra Spellcheck not working since Ren'Py 6.99.11

#2 Post by Donmai »

Not an Editra user here, but there's something you can try: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=41707&p=437964
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#3 Post by Imperf3kt »

Did you update Editra at the same time? Because the two are separate. Updating Ren'Py won't update Editra.

I do see the issue though, I also can't check the spellcheck button - though, who even uses spell check? It sounds like a lazy man's way of QC'ing his game.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Wrouster

#4 Post by Wrouster »

Donmai wrote:Not an Editra user here, but there's something you can try: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=41707&p=437964
I tried that before posting. Editra spits out an error about not recognizing the library, even when pointed directly to it.
Imperf3kt wrote:Did you update Editra at the same time? Because the two are separate. Updating Ren'Py won't update Editra.

I do see the issue though, I also can't check the spellcheck button - though, who even uses spell check? It sounds like a lazy man's way of QC'ing his game.
I deleted everything from Ren'Py and Editra and installed everything back up to see if it was a problem with my registry or my cache. Even trying it on a completely different machine, spellcheck fails to work on the newer versions while working on the older ones.
And even prefer doing it directly on the program instead of using a text editor like word, as I can already put everything on its proper syntax. Writing out 500 lines of dialogue and having to properly place each of them is a pretty tedious task, so... thanks, but not thanks. I'd rather have the spellcheck working, haha.
(Yes, I'm lazy).

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Imperf3kt »

You can, as a work-around, write your script in Editra, copy it over to word or similar, run the spell check there, go back to Editra and press CTRL+F
Type in the typos word found, then correct them.

Admittedly a bit more involved, but far easier than creating the syntaxes in Word.

Twitter

Wrouster

#6 Post by Wrouster »

Imperf3kt wrote:You can, as a work-around, write your script in Editra, copy it over to word or similar, run the spell check there, go back to Editra and press CTRL+F
Type in the typos word found, then correct them.

Admittedly a bit more involved, but far easier than creating the syntaxes in Word.
Sure. I suppose that's what I'll end up doing if the issue can't be resolved. It sure beats making the syntax manually or juggling two different versions of Ren'Py at the same time.
Thanks anyway.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran

#7 Post by Imperf3kt »

There's also Notepad++
I haven't used it for Ren'Py, but it might be a better choice than Micro$oft Word - I recommend the 32-bit version.

From Wikipedia:
Notepad++ is a text editor and source code editor for use with Microsoft Windows. Unlike Microsoft Notepad, the built-in Windows text editor, it supports tabbed editing, which allows working with multiple open files in a single window. The project's name comes from the C increment operator.

Notepad++ is distributed as free software. At first the project was hosted on SourceForge.net, from where it has been downloaded over 28 million times,[3][4] and twice won the SourceForge Community Choice Award for Best Developer Tool.[5] The project was hosted on TuxFamily (fr) from 2010 to 2015; since 2015 Notepad++ has been hosted on GitHub.[6] Notepad++ uses the Scintilla editor component.
The default white is blinding though. I prefer the deep black theme:
http://puu.sh/tcx6c/99688724bd.png
Last edited by Imperf3kt on Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Twitter

indoneko
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by indoneko »

I currently use Notepad++
It supports many programming language (including Python), and It can do spell-checking too (using Aspell)
My avatar is courtesy of Mellanthe

Wrouster

#9 Post by Wrouster »

Hmm, I remember using Notepad++ a long time ago when I was translating a program manual from english into my native language. It was a pretty great program back then. Don't know why I never thought of using it.
I'm gonna give it a try and come back with my feedback.

Mad_Scientist
Regular
Completed: Bipedal Bunny From The Moon With A Machine Gun And Helicopter Backpack Dating Sim
Projects: Summer in Trigue, Darling Shoujo Imoutohotep, The Five Figures, Unseen

#10 Post by Mad_Scientist »

I encountered this same issue when I had to switch comps and downloaded the latest version of Ren'Py. To fix it, here's what I did.

Download Ren'Py 6.99.8 and downloaded the Ren'Py Editra in it. Opened it once, checked spellcheck in it.

Deleted the entire Editra folder in my Ren'Py 6.99.11 folder.

Copied the Editra folder from 6.99.8 over into Ren'Py 6.99.11

Viola! Spellcheck works, latest version of Ren'Py, no need to hassle with other programs or with constantly using the old version of Ren'Py to open Editra.
Check out the demo of Darling Shoujo Imoutohotep, my mummy VN. Cause haven't you always wanted to play a Pharaoh in love with his mummy little sister? Oh, you haven't always wanted that? Uh... well... if you check it out anyways, I'll be happy. (Cannot guarantee your happiness though).
You can follow me on twitter at:
@MadNovelist212 My "official" account, follow for updates.
@MadScientist212 My personal account. Beware, I tend to babble.