Cutscene not playing?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
PhZXgames
Regular
Completed: Character Creation Frame
Projects: RWBY Dawnfall
Organization: PhZX Games

Cutscene not playing?

#1 Post by PhZXgames »

So I want to use an mp4 file on my splash screen right before everything happens, but the renpy.movie_cutscene string is not working. The screen will go black for the correct amount of time, but no sound or video will be played. I know mp4 was on the list of compatible files, so I'm not entirely sure what the issue is.

Thanks!
"Don't Explode!"
-me

Ocelot
Lemma-Class Veteran
Github: MiiNiPaa
Discord: MiiNiPaa#4384

Re: Cutscene not playing?

#2 Post by Ocelot »

mp4 is a container. You need to make sure that video stream is in correct format too.
< < insert Rick Cook quote here > >

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#3 Post by Imperf3kt »

What Ocelot said.

You may want to strip the audio and play it separate, so a player can control the volume, but if you encounter syncing issues, avoid it.

With your video, it'll work fine if you use 8bit H.264 level 4.1 high.

Is this for a commercial VN? Because mpeg-4 part 10 falls under MPEG-LA and thus requires a license for any use. Monetary, or not, greater than 12 minutes.
http://www.mpegla.com/main/programs/M4V ... ement.aspx
Where End User pays for MPEG-4 Video
o Title-by-Title - 12 minutes or less = no royalty; >12 minutes in length = lower of (a) 2% of first Arm’s-Length Sale or (b) $0.02 per
title. Licensees are (a) replicators of physical media and (b) direct sellers of other media.
o Subscription (not Title-by-Title): 0-100,000 subs/year = no royalty;
>100,000-250,000 subs/year = $25,000; >250,000 – 500,000 subs/year = $50,000; >500,000-1M subs/year = $75,000; >1M – 5M subs/year = $100,000; >5M – 25M subs/year = $200,000; >25M subs = $300,000
Might I suggest (Renpy compatibility not checked) VP-9 inside a webm container and OGG Vorbis or Opus audio

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VP9
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

PhZXgames
Regular

#4 Post by PhZXgames »

So you're saying I need to pay, or my player needs to pay in other to use mp4? All I want to do is play a video on my splash screen.
"Don't Explode!"
-me

Ocelot
Lemma-Class Veteran
Github: MiiNiPaa
Discord: MiiNiPaa#4384

#5 Post by Ocelot »

You need to make sure that video contained in mp4 container is in suported format too.

http://www.pitivi.org/manual/codecscontainers.html
< < insert Rick Cook quote here > >

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Imperf3kt »

PhZXgames wrote:So you're saying I need to pay, or my player needs to pay in other to use mp4? All I want to do is play a video on my splash screen.
No, you don't need to pay. Your player never pays, you are the end user in this case.
As long as your total runtime of all mpeg-4 part 10 assets does not exceed 12 minutes combined and you are not a corporation.

'All I want' is not valid legalese. It won't hold up in court if you get sued for overdue royalties.
But I was only giving you that info as a reminder. You are unlikely to even need to pay royalties. I suggested VP9 as a worry-free alternative, since it is royalty-free.

Twitter

PhZXgames
Regular

#7 Post by PhZXgames »

Ok, so let me rephrase this.

I have a small tiny 5 second video clip that I made myself that origianly was a .gif, that I converted to .mp4. What do royalties have to do with something that I created, and also how do I get it to work?

Do I just convert the file to vp9? Is that what I need to do to get it to work? With all due respect, "all I want" were the words I used for a specific reason, and I wanted an answer, not legal stuff. And also the container stuff makes no sense to me, but I will look that up for future reference.
"Don't Explode!"
-me

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Imperf3kt »

Sorry if I sounded condescending, it was most definitely not my intent.

You converted a gif to mp4?
Was the gif yours? You could be sued if it isn't in the public domain.
If the gif is yours, why not convert the images to a video directly, or use ATL?

I'm going to just answer the question now though.

Code: Select all

init:
    image movie = Movie(size=(1280, 720), xalign=0.5, yalign=0.5)
play movie "movies/sm23235589.mkv"
    $ renpy.transition(fade)
    $ renpy.pause(126, hard=True)
The above will tell renpy to play a 1280*720 video in the matroska container (codec used is h.264, in profile high at 8bits restricted to level 4.1 for compatibility and low-end device playback, such as ARM3 devices - low-spec android phones)
Mouse functions are locked. After a duration of 126 seconds, the video ends and a fade transitions to the next scene.

</spoonfeed>

Twitter