How well could Ren'Py replicate A Dark Room?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
warmsundae
Regular
Soundcloud: lanterny

How well could Ren'Py replicate A Dark Room?

#1 Post by warmsundae »

More specific questions:
- Can it run multiple timers like ADR can?
- Can a smooth "swiping" transition happen when switching menus? (A Firelit Room -> A Silent Forest) (also how the "stores" inventory always moves under the other inventory boxes when switches screens.)

(In case A Dark Room isn't familiar: It's a minimalistic management game about surviving in the woods and developing a town.)

Enchant00
Regular

Re: How well could Ren'Py replicate A Dark Room?

#2 Post by Enchant00 »

warmsundae wrote: - Can it run multiple timers like ADR can?
- Yes, you can have multiple timers run parallel at the same time or a single timer that has multiple actions associated with it.
warmsundae wrote: - Can a smooth "swiping" transition happen when switching menus? (A Firelit Room -> A Silent Forest) (also how the "stores" inventory always moves under the other inventory boxes when switches screens.)
- This is a matter of screen and the show function would pop-up the screen instantaneously. As for the swiping motion, you would use atl for that and you can make use of the pause function if you want a duration for the swipe. To sum it all up, yup you can basically have a fluid swipe motion menus and multiple timers running at the same time.

warmsundae
Regular
Soundcloud: lanterny

#3 Post by warmsundae »

Thanks for the fast response!

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
Projects: The Butler Detective
Tumblr: katy-133
Deviantart: Katy133
Soundcloud: Katy133
itch: katy133

#4 Post by Katy133 »

I just want to say thank you for directing me to A Dark Room. I started playing it, and it's so addictive!
ImageImage

My Website, which lists my visual novels.
Become a patron on my Patreon!