Steam achievements not unlocking?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Steam achievements not unlocking?

#16 Post by PyTom »

Well, Steam did initialize there. Is it going wrong for you?
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

dragondatingsim
Regular
Tumblr: angelswithscalywings

#17 Post by dragondatingsim »

PyTom wrote:Well, Steam did initialize there. Is it going wrong for you?
Yes, I'm not getting the achievements either from when they should sync.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#18 Post by PyTom »

Um... at this point - can you grant them unconditionally? If you can't, then the problem is probably with your steam configuration. If you can, maybe we can work back somehow. (Also, did you clear persistent before trying to grant them? You have to sync them once they've first been granted.)
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

dragondatingsim
Regular

#19 Post by dragondatingsim »

PyTom wrote:Um... at this point - can you grant them unconditionally? If you can't, then the problem is probably with your steam configuration. If you can, maybe we can work back somehow. (Also, did you clear persistent before trying to grant them? You have to sync them once they've first been granted.)
I just went to test this from a different computer, re-installed Steam and everything, and when I run the game then (without having changed anything), it suddenly works.

I don't really have an explanation for this, except that this must somehow be related to Steam's side of things (and that we added, removed and later re-added Steam achievements which may have potentially messed things up somehow in regards to tracking them).

I'll have other affected people test this solution and see what happens.

dragondatingsim
Regular

#20 Post by dragondatingsim »

Well, it seems like other people are still having troubles, as can be seen in the comments here:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/angelsw ... 7701105070

I'm not sure how that is possible and how it could work for me, but then still not work for others who have been affected. Why would unlocking these same achievements even work elsewhere in the game, but just not at the beginning where we're trying to sync them? The inconsistency makes no sense to me.

Nayru774
Regular
Completed: SoulSet, Blankspace
Projects: The Elevator Game with Catgirls
Tumblr: NoBreadStudio
itch: nobreadstudio

#21 Post by Nayru774 »

I have the exact same problem.

From what I deduced so far, it's that if the achievement gets "checked" once and Steam doesn't catch it that one time, any second "checks" just don't seem to work for some reason. I had the same problem with people playing the DRM version of my game on Itchio and then moving over to steam with the achievements not registering for them. I fixed that by changing all of the "grant names" of the achievements (so basically making every achievement a new, different achievement entirely), but that made the global stats reset and trying doing that another time at this point just wouldn't be the way to go.

I'm currently encountering the problem again, because I forgot to add the necessary "lib" files for the newest patch into the build before realizing it the next day. I added the lib files now, but it seems that any endings people achieved during the time when the lib files weren't included now don't make the achievements grant for those endings, since they were already "checked" once. All other new achievements still work fine like they should.

This is the code I use in my script, and every achievement gets a check like this after a player reaches an ending in the game:

Code: Select all

if persistent.endsecret == True:
        $ achievement.grant("Secret_Endx")
        init:
            $ achievement.register("Secret_Endx")
I'm just wondering if there's any way for the engine to "force" re-reading those achievements somehow without having to wipe all persistent data and playing the game anew?

UPDATE: After doing some more digging and re-reading of a couple of forum threads and then trying a few things out, it seems the "$ achievement.sync()" function seems to actually help with this? :0 It seems to be working for me, at least. I'll still have to wait for some feedback regarding this from the players.
Image Image Image

dragondatingsim
Regular

#22 Post by dragondatingsim »

Nayru774 wrote:
UPDATE: After doing some more digging and re-reading of a couple of forum threads and then trying a few things out, it seems the "$ achievement.sync()" function seems to actually help with this? :0 It seems to be working for me, at least. I'll still have to wait for some feedback regarding this from the players.
This is what ended up working for us as well.