AD Aware and problems with renpy?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Ryue
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Red eyes in the darkness

AD Aware and problems with renpy?

#1 Post by Ryue »

Hi
Since I'm using ad aware as antivirus I've stumbled upon it every time blocking renpy launcher when I start renpy. (Malicious software).

Is there any known issues there or a workaround (aside from turning ad aware off then starting renpy and turning it on again).

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

Re: AD Aware and problems with renpy?

#2 Post by Donmai »

That's obviously a false positive. Ad Aware should be giving you an option for flagging Ren'Py as a trusted program. Or you can contact the antivirus publishers and report the false positive. They should give you an answer. If not, I would simply dump Ad Aware and look for another antivirus. Any AV program, though, can be a pain in the neck sooner or later.
https://www.jitbit.com/alexblog/212-why ... tiviruses/
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

Ryue
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Red eyes in the darkness

Re: AD Aware and problems with renpy?

#3 Post by Ryue »

Donmai wrote:That's obviously a false positive. Ad Aware should be giving you an option for flagging Ren'Py as a trusted program. Or you can contact the antivirus publishers and report the false positive. They should give you an answer. If not, I would simply dump Ad Aware and look for another antivirus. Any AV program, though, can be a pain in the neck sooner or later.
https://www.jitbit.com/alexblog/212-why ... tiviruses/
Yepp I know as Avast (which I also have on my PC isnt saying anything I take it as a false positive). I GUESS its how renpy checks the program folders of it for projects that is causing ad aware to say "hey something is malicious there". Maybe something that should be checked there in why the scanner is angry at renpy (if my guess above is correct, then that is normally caused if the 'check' is done in a non optimal way).

Will look into trusted program although maybe someoen should check there into why too.