Working at high resolutions

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Kinmoku
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: One Night Stand
Projects: VIDEOVERSE
Tumblr: gamesbykinmoku
itch: kinmoku

Working at high resolutions

#1 Post by Kinmoku »

Hi all,

I'm a "retina display" mac user and ex-graphic designer, so I always, always try to make my games at the highest resolution possible! :lol:

My question is, will I run into problems using a 2560x1440 resolution? I have adjusted options.rpy:

Code: Select all

config.screen_width = 2560
    config.screen_height = 1440
and gui.rpy:

Code: Select all

init python:
    gui.init(2560, 1440)
.. and things seem to, more or less, be working fine (I still need to re-adjust some menus), but I noticed a drop in frame-rate when panning a scene. The image file is pretty big (5120x1440) but the panning is pretty clunky and doesn't look good :( So much, that I'm thinking of scrapping this idea and working at 1920x1080 again. Smoothness > Resolution, I think.

xela
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Working at high resolutions

#2 Post by xela »

That takes a huge amount of memory... you could try increase cache size but it's a very high res to work with and therefor a bit risky.
Like what we're doing? Support us at:

Kinmoku
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: One Night Stand
Projects: VIDEOVERSE
Tumblr: gamesbykinmoku
itch: kinmoku

Re: Working at high resolutions

#3 Post by Kinmoku »

Okay. I'll probably scale the assets down to 1920x1080 then. Shame, it looks beautiful at that resolution (when not animating ofc!)