Transition from Movie to Scene is very awkward and obvious

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Chefkirby

Transition from Movie to Scene is very awkward and obvious

#1 Post by Chefkirby »

I'm building a live action game for a school project using the Renpy engine. The movie backgrounds work fine as do the videos, the problem is transitioning between them. No matter what I do, the alpha background or a black background show up for a brief moment and break immersion.

I also cannot play cutscenes if I have a movie in the background. Here is the relevant code:

Code: Select all

image s1IntroIdle = Movie(play= "video/Eli_Introduction_Choice_Idle.ogv", size=(1280, 720), xpos=0, ypos=0, xanchor=0, yanchor=0)

$ renpy.movie_cutscene("video/Eli_Introduction.ogv")
    scene s1IntroIdle loop
    with flash

menu:
        "Hi Eli! How’s it going?":
            hide s1IntroIdle
            $ renpy.movie_cutscene("video/Eli_Introduction_Choice_Z1.ogv")

"*sniffs* Sup. You good?":
            hide s1IntroIdle
            $ renpy.movie_cutscene("video/Eli_Introduction_Choice_Z2.ogv")

"Greetings and salutations Eli. If I may inquire, how is your present mood?":
            hide s1IntroIdle
            $ renpy.movie_cutscene("video/Eli_Introduction_Choice_Z3.ogv")

"Replay Scene":
            hide s1IntroIdle
            jump Suspect1Intro

$ renpy.movie_cutscene("video/Eli_Introduction_Choices_Result.ogv")

SuperbowserX
Veteran

Re: Transition from Movie to Scene is very awkward and obvio

#2 Post by SuperbowserX »

Unfortunately I can't say I can help, but I must say that this is really cool! I would love to see a school project with live action footage be used in Ren'py. I understand that it may be private and there is nothing wrong with that, but would you ever be interested in sharing your project to the world?

Chefkirby

#3 Post by Chefkirby »

That was the plan eventually. I hope I can figure out the issue or someone else has an idea on it soon.

SuperbowserX
Veteran

#4 Post by SuperbowserX »

I'll go have RemindMeBot on Reddit send me a reminder when this is ready because this sounds amazingly cool :).

Assuming someone can give you a fix tomorrow, what do you think the ETA of the project will be?