Text in splashscreen is not translated?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
fullmontis
Regular
Deviantart: fullmontis
itch: fullmontis

Text in splashscreen is not translated?

#1 Post by fullmontis »

I have a menu that is called only the first time the game is launched that allows to choose the language. I call it from splashscreen. From there, while still in the splashscreen, I show some text and then the main menu is called.

The problem is, if I choose the non default language, I get that the text in the splashscreen is not translated. From the main menu onwards everything is translated as expected. Even if I relaunch the game, the text in the splashscreen is correctly translated. But the first time around the text is still in the default language.

So how can I fix this so that I get the translation to start from the splashscreen the first time the game is launched?

It is a minor bug, but if I could understand why it happens it would be great.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: Text in splashscreen is not translated?

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

From my understanding, you need to tell ren'py you want it translated.
Logically, this should be to wrap the text in square brackets and append !t to the end (inside the brackets), but I have never used this feature and the FAQ is confusing, so this is just a random stab in the dark.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

fullmontis
Regular
Deviantart: fullmontis
itch: fullmontis

Re: Text in splashscreen is not translated?

#3 Post by fullmontis »

Imperf3kt thanks for the suggestion but I already did that. In fact, the text is translated correctly every time I relaunch the game. The only time it does not translate it is only the first time the game is launched. This is why I think it is a bug, or probably something else that I'm missing...