ValueError: too many values to unpack

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Doc_Odd
Regular

ValueError: too many values to unpack

#1 Post by Doc_Odd »

I've been actually going back to working on my Tale of Genji project, inspired perhaps by nawrinomo. I add some extra data to a python file I've been importing, and now I get this error message from the renpy file that tries to import that bit of python code. I could do a bunch of trial and error, but since the error message isn't very informative (and it didn't help even to search through some of the renpy files; I couldn't even find where this exception gets generated), I thought I'd see if I could find out any more about it. How many values is too many anyway? When does renpy count them? Does this show that I must have some sort of inadvertent loop generating excess values that I need to track down, or could this happen just because of some fairly restrictive renpy limit, and if the latter, what is the limit?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: ValueError: too many values to unpack

#2 Post by PyTom »

This is the error you get when you do something like:

a, b, c = 1, 2

I'd need the actual traceback and source code to give you a better answer.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Doc_Odd
Regular

Re: ValueError: too many values to unpack

#3 Post by Doc_Odd »

That's entirely sufficient; it means that there's some typo that the traceback isn't giving me a line number on. Will get hunting.