Indentation in NVL mode

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
dizzcity
Veteran
Projects: Lakeside Sunset, Wedding Vows, Working Woman

Indentation in NVL mode

#1 Post by dizzcity »

Hi,

Currently, I'm writing a game in NVL mode, but I'm having trouble with some aspects of it. Here's a screenshot.
wedding_vows.PNG
I've got two questions:

1) Is it possible to control the indentation of the Character name and dialogue in NVL mode? I'm trying to left-align spoken dialogue with the rest of the narrated text, but am having no luck.

(Btw, +1 request for tabbing support in the next version of Ren'Py. Herenvardo's text parser can work, but trying to use it for every single line in order to display first-line paragraph indentation is rather tedious.) :)

2) This is more of a nice-to-have than a must-have, but is there any way to align the NVL window alongside a picture, and then stretch its' dimensions later? If you look at the right-hand page in the attached picture, all my text has to start from below the picture of the character. Ideally, I'd like to be able to use the space to the left of the character as well. But if that's not possible or very difficult to do, I can live without it.

Thanks,
-Dizzy-
A smart man follows the rules, a dumb man breaks them. A great man bends the rules and thus creates them.
Fanfiction.net Profile.
Writer and director of Working Woman (NaNoRenO March 2010)
Writer and director of Wedding Vows (finished 2009).
Creator of Lakeside Sunset (finished 2006).

dizzcity
Veteran
Projects: Lakeside Sunset, Wedding Vows, Working Woman

Re: Indentation in NVL mode

#2 Post by dizzcity »

Err... never mind about this. I worked around the justification by removing all Character objects and placing the character names inside the text itself. And found an alternative use for the space next to the character portrait.

-Dizzy-
A smart man follows the rules, a dumb man breaks them. A great man bends the rules and thus creates them.
Fanfiction.net Profile.
Writer and director of Working Woman (NaNoRenO March 2010)
Writer and director of Wedding Vows (finished 2009).
Creator of Lakeside Sunset (finished 2006).

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by monele »

I thought of this possibility but immediately went "meh, hack!" ^^;. It would be nice to have an official solution I think. Or maybe we just need to write like a regular book :|

Anyway, if I may give one advice : have the book texture less... contrasted/3D. It's a bit hard to read the text over it.

EvilDragon
Veteran

#4 Post by EvilDragon »

monele wrote:Or maybe we just need to write like a regular book :|
This. This right here. :)
Angels of paradise, angels of sacrifice
Please let me be under your wings...

luminarious
Veteran
Projects: Winter, winter

#5 Post by luminarious »

I have reached the same point my development, where I need to indent the text partially below the character name for best looks. One idea was negative margin on the say_label, but that caused errors, so I'm stuck at the moment.

Treladon
Regular
Projects: ToMaG, Feinted Game
Organization: Kuehler-Corrada Productions
Deviantart: Journie

#6 Post by Treladon »

I need some help with this, too, actually. For whatever reason, even though I defined the narrator as "define nar = Character(None, kind=nvl)" and tried to define the margins and padding, I'm still getting this weird indent where I guess Ren'Py thinks the character name should go. How do I get rid of this so it just reads like a book??

Here's a screenshot:
Capture.PNG
WIP: The Tasks of Messengers and Guardians - Progress Page Here!