Unexplained lag: can we get some people to test please?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Sierra Lee
Regular

Unexplained lag: can we get some people to test please?

#1 Post by Sierra Lee »

Hello! I'm running into an odd problem with one of my game's navigation screens: some users report crippling mouse lag and others do not. I don't experience it myself, so I'm having a hard time testing. It doesn't seem to be because the CPU is getting overused (in fact the fastest computers are the ones reporting lag), so I am puzzled as to what the reason might be. I've tried to look through the documentation and forums for anything about this, so if anyone has an idea about the possible cause, please let me know!

However, I think it might be easier to just show the project. Here is a sample version with only the navigation screen:
https://mega.nz/#!SsUVgJzS!4o1Oc7Egv3BF ... J-JMHFsa2Q
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxZR9 ... 1JjdzRDY3M

Users that report lag report that the lag is just as bad in this version. So I would be very grateful if anyone reading this thread could download it and report if they have serious lag when trying to navigate. For any programmers reading, do you have any theories about why this might be causing lag only on some systems? I'm pretty much baffled at this stage.

Thanks!
Last edited by Sierra Lee on Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

SuperbowserX
Veteran

Re: Unexplained lag: can we get some people to test please?

#2 Post by SuperbowserX »

In the future, can you upload to Google Drive instead? It's more faster and reliable then mega.

Also, great job with this game's art and programming! It looks really really nice, and I can tell a lot of effort went into it.

Anyway, honestly, I'm not getting the lag error. After you click to enter/exit an area, the mouse does hang for a bare split second, but it's largely unnoticeable and is not a problem when playing.

Do you think maybe the fastest computers are running this game with other apps in the background?

indoneko
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by indoneko »

Does it happen to all OS or only certain OS (like windows 10, especially with NVidia graphic card) ?

I'd like to help you test it, but mega is a pain to download (as I need to install it's app first). Can your reupload it on dropbox, gdrive, mediafire or anywhere else that doesn't require software installation?
My avatar is courtesy of Mellanthe

Sierra Lee
Regular

#4 Post by Sierra Lee »

I've added a Google Drive link to the OP. Please use the Mega link if you can, though.
SuperbowserX wrote:Also, great job with this game's art and programming! It looks really really nice, and I can tell a lot of effort went into it.
Thanks! It's been in development for several months, I hope to show it off here when we release the first version publicly.
SuperbowserX wrote:Anyway, honestly, I'm not getting the lag error. After you click to enter/exit an area, the mouse does hang for a bare split second, but it's largely unnoticeable and is not a problem when playing.

Do you think maybe the fastest computers are running this game with other apps in the background?
The lag we're worried about is when moving the mouse around the screen, FYI. But thanks for testing!

I doubt background apps are likely to be the problem - it's not like CPU/memory/disk are anywhere near maxed. I was sent video with Task Manager + the game, and the usage looks normal. The strange thing is that when I changed the navigation to optimize, CPU usage dropped 50% but lag increased! That's part of what baffles me about this.
indoneko wrote:Does it happen to all OS or only certain OS (like windows 10, especially with NVidia graphic card) ?

I'd like to help you test it, but mega is a pain to download (as I need to install it's app first). Can your reupload it on dropbox, gdrive, mediafire or anywhere else that doesn't require software installation?
It's been tested on Windows 8 and Windows 10 and I don't think there's any pattern between those two. I've wondered about graphics cards myself, but I don't know what everyone uses. Mine isn't NVidia.

Anyway, there's another link in the OP now. But FYI, you don't need to install software to use Mega: just click "Download in browser."

indoneko
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by indoneko »

OK, I've tested your game, and I can confirm that there's a slight delay, but none of that crippling mouse lag. In fact, I run firefox with 100 tab open along with this game, and I can still play this game properly. :lol:

One thing to notice though... the processor usage is skyrocketing whenever I move the mouse in your game - even in the game/start menu screen. So I tried adding # in this line (to disable the mouse config) :

Code: Select all

#    config.mouse = { 'default' : [ ('system/mouse.png', 0, 0)] }
and the lag seems reduced significantly...

FYI, I use Renpy 6.99.12.4 on Windows XP on an AMD Athlon X2 machine (old, eh?) :oops:
My avatar is courtesy of Mellanthe

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#6 Post by PyTom »

I don't recommend config.mouse, since it does lag on some configurations.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Sierra Lee
Regular

#7 Post by Sierra Lee »

Okay, so maybe we're zeroing in on the mouse as a possible problem?
PyTom wrote:I don't recommend config.mouse, since it does lag on some configurations.
Is there something else I should be using instead? Or are you suggesting that it's better not to have a custom mouse for the sake of performance?
indoneko wrote:OK, I've tested your game, and I can confirm that there's a slight delay, but none of that crippling mouse lag. In fact, I run firefox with 100 tab open along with this game, and I can still play this game properly. :lol:
I appreciate you testing, thanks!

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#8 Post by PyTom »

Sierra Lee wrote: Or are you suggesting that it's better not to have a custom mouse for the sake of performance?
Correct. Some drivers are introducing multiple frames of lag into the visual system, which makes the custome mouse code untenable. At some point I'll be replacing it with a different approach, but I haven't had the chance to do that yet.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Nyankar
Projects: Primer Fantasia
Organization: TTTiGR3 Estudios AR

#9 Post by Nyankar »

Mouse delay here, it's VERY annoying -.- also i have a "decent" rig. https://puu.sh/vkBrJ/758bfb5e39.jpg
Graphic designs