help to make type writer sounds effect and display

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
mahyuringon
Regular

help to make type writer sounds effect and display

#1 Post by mahyuringon »

how do i make a display that would have a text background the one being typed and typewriter sound effect

indoneko
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: help to make type writer sounds effect and display

#2 Post by indoneko »

What do you mean by "a text background the one being typed" ? Can you give a mock image to explain it?

As for the typewriter sound effect, you could add a callback in your Character definition. I've seen other threads in this forum about adding beep sounds to mimic voice acting. Perhaps you could copy their method?
My avatar is courtesy of Mellanthe

mahyuringon
Regular

#3 Post by mahyuringon »

indoneko wrote:What do you mean by "a text background the one being typed" ? Can you give a mock image to explain it?

As for the typewriter sound effect, you could add a callback in your Character definition. I've seen other threads in this forum about adding beep sounds to mimic voice acting. Perhaps you could copy their method?
hehey indoneko is helping me again thank you.

the message was an order to a ship for example here's the message.

"War has commended between the United States and Spain. Proceed at once to Philippine Islands."
"Commence operations at once, particularly against the Spanish fleet. You must capture vessels or destroy. Use utmost endeavors."

mahyuringon
Regular

#4 Post by mahyuringon »

indoneko wrote:What do you mean by "a text background the one being typed" ? Can you give a mock image to explain it?

the back ground would be this
ship.jpg

and above the background should be the letter being typed on
6a014e5fd24b87970c01b7c73a7827970b.png
above that should be the text font typewriter being typed in and the sound effect.

i wish you could understand what im trying to say..

indoneko
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by indoneko »

Ah... so you want that paper image to be used for your textbox's background image? (assuming that those lines are typed as dialogue/narration).

Or do you want to put the paper image at the center of the screen (like a floating scroll) and then you add a centered text on it (without using character definition) ?

mahyuringon
Regular

#6 Post by mahyuringon »

indoneko wrote:Ah... so you want that paper image to be used for your textbox's background image? (assuming that those lines are typed as dialogue/narration).

Or do you want to put the paper image at the center of the screen (like a floating scroll) and then you add a centered text on it (without using character definition) ?
Yes!
yes
and yes!

thats what i want i seem to have been troubled thinking of it yes that what i want a narration background and the paper is in the middle yes and the other specific things i want

indoneko
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by indoneko »

Wait... are you using NVL mode or ADV mode?

It would be helpful if you could do something in photoshop and provide a mock-up snapshot of the game screen that you have in mind.

mahyuringon
Regular

#8 Post by mahyuringon »

indoneko wrote:Wait... are you using NVL mode or ADV mode?

It would be helpful if you could do something in photoshop and provide a mock-up snapshot of the game screen that you have in mind.
i dont know what you mean by NVL or ADV mode your saying is... ive read it somewhere but i dont know that..

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#9 Post by Imperf3kt »

You're most likely using ADV mode if you don't recognise the term 'NVL'
ADV is Ren'Py's default method of displaying your text, it is similar to most VNs you will probably be familiar with.

NVL is an alternative where it displays more like a novel / book. You probably want to simulate this on your paper, but not use it.

I'm about to go to sleep, but if this topic is active tomorrow, I'll see if I can throw together a mock up script for you.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

mahyuringon
Regular

#10 Post by mahyuringon »

Imperf3kt wrote:You're most likely using ADV mode if you don't recognise the term 'NVL'
ADV is Ren'Py's default method of displaying your text, it is similar to most VNs you will probably be familiar with.

NVL is an alternative where it displays more like a novel / book. You probably want to simulate this on your paper, but not use it.

I'm about to go to sleep, but if this topic is active tomorrow, I'll see if I can throw together a mock up script for you.

yes please do so?

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran

#11 Post by Imperf3kt »

This is probably not really what you're after, but is this the general idea?

Code: Select all

#############
## Images  ##
#############

image bg ship = "ship.jpg"
image sprite paper = "paper.jpg"

label start:

scene bg ship

show sprite paper at truecenter
    show text "War has commenced between the United States and Spain.\nProceed at once to Philippine Islands."
    pause (10)
    hide text with dissolve
    show text "Commence operations at once\nparticularly against the Spanish fleet.\nYou must capture vessels or destroy.\nUse utmost endeavors."
    pause (10)
    hide text
    hide sprite paper

return
Scale the paper to an appropriate size. For my mock up, I scaled and cropped it to 720x200, this seemed like a reasonable size.
The file I used can be found here Image
I left the ship at full size (assuming you want 1280x720 game)

Save the paper as "paper.jpg" in the images folder, and save the ship as "ship.jpg" in the images folder (or just put it in there, as it is already named as such)

I can't help you with the typerwriter effect, nor can I help with the clacking of typing sounds.
These should be simple enough to reproduce using the methods indoneko suggested, but I've not looked into them yet, so have no idea how they work.

You probably want to change the font color, and alignment, use shift + i while hovering the text, to find what styles are applied to it, then track them down and edit those styles.

Good luck and have fun.

Twitter

mahyuringon
Regular

#12 Post by mahyuringon »

Imperf3kt wrote:This is probably not really what you're after, but is this the general idea?

#############
## Images  ##
#############

label start:

scene bg ship

show text "War has commenced between the United States and Spain.\nProceed at once to Philippine Islands."
    pause (10)
    hide text with dissolve
    show text "Commence operations at once\nparticularly against the Spanish fleet.\nYou must capture vessels or destroy.\nUse utmost endeavors."
    pause (10)
    hide text
    hide sprite paper

return
Scale the paper to an appropriate size. For my mock up, I scaled and cropped it to 720x200, this seemed like a reasonable size.

Save the paper as "paper.jpg" in the images folder, and save the ship as "ship.jpg" in the images folder (or just put it in there, as it is already named as such)

I can't help you with the typerwriter effect, nor can I help with the clacking of typing sounds.
These should be simple enough to reproduce using the methods indoneko suggested, but I've not looked into them yet, so have no idea how they work.

You probably want to change the font color, and alignment, use shift + i while hovering the text, to find what styles are applied to it, then track them down and edit those styles.

Good luck and have fun.

yes thank you this was the general idea i appreciate your help thank you ive added it on the game now thank you :D

mahyuringon
Regular

#13 Post by mahyuringon »

mahyuringon wrote:
Imperf3kt wrote:This is probably not really what you're after, but is this the general idea?

#############
## Images  ##
#############

label start:

scene bg ship

pause (10)
    hide text with dissolve
    pause (10)
    hide text
    hide sprite paper

return

Good luck and have fun.

yes thank you this was the general idea i appreciate your help thank you ive added it on the game now thank you :D

is it alright for command to be like this?

ex:

image ship = "ship.jpg"
show ship

is it alright like that?

indoneko
Miko-Class Veteran

#14 Post by indoneko »

You should define all of your images at the beginning of the script, before label start:

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran

#15 Post by Imperf3kt »

Yeah, you can remove the 'bg' from ship or 'sprite' from paper, I only added those to show you the different uses they had.
The following will work also
image ship = "ship.jpg"
image paper = "paper.jpg"

Twitter