[issue resolved]How to generate logcat for Android?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

[issue resolved]How to generate logcat for Android?

#1 Post by Imperf3kt »

I made several rather large changes to my project and checked them along the way with the android emulation in Ren'Py. All was good, so I continued on.
When I was satisfied that everything worked as intended and I had achieved what I intended, I built a package and installed it on my phone for testing.
This is where the issue comes in, the app brings up the Android splash screen, then after a few seconds, crashes with absolutely no indication as to why. Everything works perfect in the emulator, but on my phone, nothing. I'm stumped what caused it, I haven't got anything in it yet that could cause it to crash. I only made my own GUI and added a few minuscule features.

I checked the scripts over several times and can see no reason for the crash.
This is my second build of the app and it worked flawlessly on my first build. The main differences in this build is simply the removal / replacement of the navigation screen.

I have no idea what ADB in TCP/IP mode means.

Can anybody advise me on what I should do?

The only thing I haven't yet tried is to restore this line to default:

Code: Select all

define config.window_icon = "../android-icon.png"
But I thought that line was PC specific.

E: That was the problem.

Code: Select all

define config.window_icon = "../android-icon.png"
I changed it back to gui/window_icon.png and placed the file back in the gui folder.
Oh well, its only 69.3kb, but I would have preferred to do away with the duplicate file.

If anyone can tell me how to generate the logcat still, I'd highly appreciate it for future reference.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter