Stop the game from running outside of steam?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
madbunnie13

Stop the game from running outside of steam?

#1 Post by madbunnie13 »

Hiya,

the game I worked on is finally released on steam! Yay!
however there's one problem, I was wondering if there any way to stop the game from launching from outside of steam...?

Do I need to write python code checks or does renpy support this?

thanks.

SuperbowserX
Veteran

Re: Stop the game from running outside of steam?

#2 Post by SuperbowserX »

Google "renpy steam drm" for more info. As this thread shows, it's not possible.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=34411

Out of curiosity, do you mind telling us what the name of the game is? I am very interested in seeing what Ren'py games that made it to Steam look like.

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#3 Post by trooper6 »

There are a bunch of Renpy Games on Steam as far as I know.

Hanako Games and Winter Wolves do their games using Renpy. Hanako Games has 7 titles on there, super famous being Long Live the Queen. Winter Wolves has 37 titles on Steam. The IGF Nominee for Excellence in Narrative One Night Stand is a Renpy game. If I do a search for "renpy," I get 29 titles, if I search for "renpy," I get another 14. There are probably even more out there...oh Christine Love's work is also made with Renpy and she's got 3 games on there.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

madbunnie13

#4 Post by madbunnie13 »

SuperbowserX wrote:Google "renpy steam drm" for more info. As this thread shows, it's not possible.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=34411

Out of curiosity, do you mind telling us what the name of the game is? I am very interested in seeing what Ren'py games that made it to Steam look like.
Thanks for the info.

The game I was working on is Flamel's Miracle, the english translation isn't up yet but it will be soon!