Pausing text with dissolve. Please help.

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
NikiFig
Regular

Pausing text with dissolve. Please help.

#1 Post by NikiFig »

Hi there - so I'm making these lines fade in and out. I have some lines pausing. Will someone tell me how to get the lines after the {p=3} functions mid-dialogue to use dissolve as well?

Not only that, but how can I input " character into a dialogue line rather than ' ? (i.e 'God of the New World')

Thank you.

Code: Select all

scene black with dissolve
    "The execution of 'Kira' on Janurary 28th, about a month ago..." with dissolve
    "...it bred many tragedies..."with dissolve
    "Let's just say things weren't as they may have seemed."with dissolve
    "Yes, perhaps the main event was legitimate. The 'God of the New World' was certainly caught...{with dissolve}{p=31}Brought to due justice."with dissolve
    "He's still buried six feet under, returning to the dust."with dissolve
    "And he certainly wasn't the only one to die."with dissolve
    "In fact, it's as if the winter that's freezing the earth right now has frozen over most of our population."with dissolve
    "Perhaps also, Nate River has proven himself able to succeed the great L."with dissolve
    "Perhaps he's still the 'World's Greatest Detective'."with dissolve
    "And perhaps this means he's beaten his fellow successor...{with dissolve}{p=3}...or perhaps not."with dissolve
    show text "Chapter 1: Rebirth" at truecenter
    with dissolve
    pause 3
    hide text
    with dissolve

renpic

Re: Pausing text with dissolve. Please help.

#2 Post by renpic »

NikiFig wrote:Hi there - so I'm making these lines fade in and out. I have some lines pausing. Will someone tell me how to get the lines after the {p=3} functions mid-dialogue to use dissolve as well?
I am not sure you can do it :O You need someone more knowledgable than me to answer that :mrgreen:
Not only that, but how can I input " character into a dialogue line rather than ' ? (i.e 'God of the New World')
Just put a backslash in front of it (\") to escape it. For example:

"Perhaps he's still the \"World's Greatest Detective\"." with dissolve

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#3 Post by Imperf3kt »

You can also use ' for dialogue. This way " is ignored within the dialogue.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

renpic

#4 Post by renpic »

NikiFig wrote:Hi there - so I'm making these lines fade in and out. I have some lines pausing. Will someone tell me how to get the lines after the {p=3} functions mid-dialogue to use dissolve as well?
Just a question: have you considered using a slow typewriting effect instead of a dissolve?
As it would be a lot easier! (And even shorter to type! :wink:)

You can try it by adding this to the top of your script.rpy:

init:
    python:
        preferences.text_cps = 30
and removing the 'with dissolve' from your dialog lines.