Mobile ports - resolution/aspect ratios?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
dragondatingsim
Regular
Tumblr: angelswithscalywings

Mobile ports - resolution/aspect ratios?

#1 Post by dragondatingsim »

I'm currently looking into mobile ports, and after reading through all the documentation and prior information I could find, there's one thing that isn't clear to me yet:

Are there any established best practices in regards to resolution and aspect ratio to be compatible with as many devices as possible without having black bars?

I know about screen variants depending on whether the player uses a tablet, phone or on TV, but there's still the question about what base resolution to choose for our game.

There are a lot of different android devices with different screen sizes, so mobile ports were always thought to be easier for iOS, but then the iphone 5, 6 and 6 plus all have different aspect ratios again, so it's hard to come up with a "best" standard.

How have other Ren'Py developers handled this, and how did you decide on what would be best for your mobile ports?

I figured a safe bet would be to reduce the base resolution and assets to 720p (from 1080), or would it be better to make it even smaller?

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: Mobile ports - resolution/aspect ratios?

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

I'm personally going with 1280x720 (since I am doing 9:16 ratio)
Many newer phones are 1080, but I honestly think it's pointless as on such a tiny screen with high pixel density, you will not see the additional 2.25x details.
For scaling down (ex, my current phone is 480x854), having a lower base resolution is a better idea because you will end up with less jaggies from rounding errors in the scaling algorithm.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter