How can I disable clicking past?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
SuperbowserX
Veteran

How can I disable clicking past?

#1 Post by SuperbowserX »

Am making a puzzle game and just had a question. What's a good way to disable the user from clicking to advance text? My plan is to make the only clickable objects premade (so a "Exit puzzle" button, a "Hints button", and of course the puzzle interaction buttons). How can I put the game in a state where simply clicking on a screen will not try to advance dialogue?

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

Re: How can I disable clicking past?

#2 Post by trooper6 »

There are many, many ways to do this. Discussed in many different threads.

Here is a tester project I made a while ago that ran through all the different ways of blocking input I researched...it also has a bit of testing of rollback blocking and some random things on the main screen.

There are hard pauses
screens
config variables

There is only one thing that doesn't work right aesthetically and that is slow text using NVL. Maybe someone will figure out how to get that to work.

But here is the project. You can just go through it and see what's there. It has some notes so you at least know what is what a little bit. Note: There are lots and lots of examples of the same thing over and over, just blocking in different ways.
Attachments
Test 18 Blocking User Input.zip
(7.35 MiB) Downloaded 236 times
Last edited by trooper6 on Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

SuperbowserX
Veteran

#3 Post by SuperbowserX »

Thanks, I'll look it over.

SuperbowserX
Veteran

#4 Post by SuperbowserX »

It appears that you were using:

Code: Select all

key "dismiss" action NullAction()
textbutton "Cont..." action Return()
So could my general idea be:

screen pausenow():
    key "dismiss" action NullAction()
And then, in any of the now-showing screens, whenever a clickable action is selected, do the following:

action Hide(pause), Jump(targetlabel)
I am looking to make it so that the player has to click an area before proceeding. I am trying to code this rn with character selection where they have to pick either the male or female icon. Is this the best way? Thanks for helping, :)

Also, asking because I can't find it in the documentation; what exactly is "dismiss" and "key" in the context of the first line of code I sampled in this reply? And what does Return() do in the second one?

SuperbowserX
Veteran

#5 Post by SuperbowserX »

I've been trying this for a while and getting a lot of trouble. Perhaps someone else can answer my question:

What is the best way for me to make the only thing the user can click a screen, and not proceed until that screen has been clicked (at which point procession is automatic)?

Right now, I am trying to make it so that the player must either click on a male icon or a female icon to continue. What is the best way to do this?

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#6 Post by trooper6 »

If all you want is to make it so that the player has to click a button on a screen in order to progress, all you need to do is call the screen rather than show it.

default gender = "female"

screen gender_screen():
    vbox:
        text "Choose Your Gender"
        textbutton "Male" action [SetVariable("gender", "male"), Return()]
        textbutton "Female" action [SetVariable("gender", "female"), Return()]
        textbutton "Non Binary" action [SetVariable("gender", "nonbinary"), Return()]

# The game starts here.
label start:
    "So the game starts."
    call screen gender_screen()
    "You are back and your gender is: [gender]"
    "Game over"

return
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

SuperbowserX
Veteran

#7 Post by SuperbowserX »

Can you help me here?

Code:

image bg = "bg.png"
define gender = ""

image mcmale = "sprites/mcmale.png"
image mcfemale = "sprites/mcfemale.png"

screen characterselect():
    imagebutton xalign 0.2 yalign 0.5 idle mcmale action [SetVariable(gender, "m"), Return()]
    imagebutton xalign 0.8 yalign 0.5 idle mcfemale action [SetVariable(gender, "f"), Return()]

label start:
    scene bg with fade
    play music "dream.mp3" fadein 1.0 fadeout 1.0
    "Hello!"
    "Would you like to be a boy or a girl?"
    call screen characterselect()
    return
Traceback:

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 23, in script
  File "renpy/common/000statements.rpy", line 471, in execute_call_screen
    store._return = renpy.call_screen(name, *args, **kwargs)
  File "game/script.rpy", line 14, in execute
  File "game/script.rpy", line 15, in execute
    imagebutton xalign 0.2 yalign 0.5 idle mcmale action [SetVariable(gender, "m"), Return()]
Exception: Not a displayable: <Character: u''>

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "C:\Users\A\Desktop\Games\renpy-6.99.12.2-sdk\renpy\ast.py", line 1706, in execute
    self.call("execute")
  File "C:\Users\A\Desktop\Games\renpy-6.99.12.2-sdk\renpy\ast.py", line 1724, in call
    return renpy.statements.call(method, parsed, *args, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Users\A\Desktop\Games\renpy-6.99.12.2-sdk\renpy\statements.py", line 145, in call
    return method(parsed, *args, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Users\A\Desktop\Games\renpy-6.99.12.2-sdk\renpy\exports.py", line 2526, in call_screen
    rv = renpy.ui.interact(mouse="screen", type="screen", roll_forward=roll_forward)
  File "C:\Users\A\Desktop\Games\renpy-6.99.12.2-sdk\renpy\ui.py", line 285, in interact
    rv = renpy.game.interface.interact(roll_forward=roll_forward, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Users\A\Desktop\Games\renpy-6.99.12.2-sdk\renpy\display\core.py", line 2538, in interact
    scene_lists.replace_transient()
  File "C:\Users\A\Desktop\Games\renpy-6.99.12.2-sdk\renpy\display\core.py", line 822, in replace_transient
    self.remove(layer, tag)
  File "C:\Users\A\Desktop\Games\renpy-6.99.12.2-sdk\renpy\display\core.py", line 1107, in remove
    self.hide_or_replace(layer, remove_index, "hide")
  File "C:\Users\A\Desktop\Games\renpy-6.99.12.2-sdk\renpy\display\core.py", line 1031, in hide_or_replace
    d = oldsle.displayable._hide(now - st, now - at, prefix)
  File "C:\Users\A\Desktop\Games\renpy-6.99.12.2-sdk\renpy\display\screen.py", line 443, in _hide
    self.update()
  File "C:\Users\A\Desktop\Games\renpy-6.99.12.2-sdk\renpy\display\screen.py", line 578, in update
    self.screen.function(**self.scope)
  File "game/script.rpy", line 15, in execute
  File "C:\Users\A\Desktop\Games\renpy-6.99.12.2-sdk\renpy\ui.py", line 928, in _imagebutton
    **properties)
  File "C:\Users\A\Desktop\Games\renpy-6.99.12.2-sdk\renpy\display\behavior.py", line 946, in __init__
    idle_=renpy.easy.displayable(idle_image),
  File "C:\Users\A\Desktop\Games\renpy-6.99.12.2-sdk\renpy\easy.py", line 108, in displayable
    raise Exception("Not a displayable: %r" % (d,))
Exception: Not a displayable: <Character: u''>

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 6.99.12.4.2187
Logic Heroes 1.0

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#8 Post by Imperf3kt »

If these are standard imagebuttons you're using, mcmale and mcfemale need to be a string within the imagebuttons themself. You also require a hover state.

imagebutton xalign 0.2 yalign 0.5 idle "sprites/mcmale.png" hover "sprites/female.png" action [SetVariable(gender, "m"), Return()]
    imagebutton xalign 0.8 yalign 0.5 idle "sprites/mcfemale.png" hover "sprites/mcfemale.png" action [SetVariable(gender, "f"), Return()]
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

SuperbowserX
Veteran

#9 Post by SuperbowserX »

I sincerely appreciate the help, but...

Literally changing nothing (from previous snippet) other than replacing my old screen with the example you provided gave me this error (I was also getting this error when I was fiddling with imagebutton before I made my previous reply):

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "renpy/common/00action_data.rpy", line 50, in get_selected
    return getattr(self.object, self.field) == self.value
AttributeError: 'StoreModule' object has no attribute ''

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "C:\Users\A\Desktop\Games\renpy-6.99.12.2-sdk\renpy\ast.py", line 1706, in execute
    self.call("execute")
  File "C:\Users\A\Desktop\Games\renpy-6.99.12.2-sdk\renpy\ast.py", line 1724, in call
    return renpy.statements.call(method, parsed, *args, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Users\A\Desktop\Games\renpy-6.99.12.2-sdk\renpy\statements.py", line 145, in call
    return method(parsed, *args, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Users\A\Desktop\Games\renpy-6.99.12.2-sdk\renpy\exports.py", line 2526, in call_screen
    rv = renpy.ui.interact(mouse="screen", type="screen", roll_forward=roll_forward)
  File "C:\Users\A\Desktop\Games\renpy-6.99.12.2-sdk\renpy\ui.py", line 285, in interact
    rv = renpy.game.interface.interact(roll_forward=roll_forward, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Users\A\Desktop\Games\renpy-6.99.12.2-sdk\renpy\display\core.py", line 2526, in interact
    repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, trans_pause=trans_pause, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Users\A\Desktop\Games\renpy-6.99.12.2-sdk\renpy\display\core.py", line 2793, in interact_core
    root_widget.visit_all(lambda i : i.per_interact())
  File "C:\Users\A\Desktop\Games\renpy-6.99.12.2-sdk\renpy\display\core.py", line 495, in visit_all
    d.visit_all(callback)
  File "C:\Users\A\Desktop\Games\renpy-6.99.12.2-sdk\renpy\display\core.py", line 495, in visit_all
    d.visit_all(callback)
    d.visit_all(callback)
  File "C:\Users\A\Desktop\Games\renpy-6.99.12.2-sdk\renpy\display\screen.py", line 403, in visit_all
    self.child.visit_all(callback)
    d.visit_all(callback)
  File "C:\Users\A\Desktop\Games\renpy-6.99.12.2-sdk\renpy\display\core.py", line 497, in visit_all
    callback(self)
  File "C:\Users\A\Desktop\Games\renpy-6.99.12.2-sdk\renpy\display\core.py", line 2793, in <lambda>
    root_widget.visit_all(lambda i : i.per_interact())
  File "C:\Users\A\Desktop\Games\renpy-6.99.12.2-sdk\renpy\display\behavior.py", line 788, in per_interact
    if self.is_selected():
  File "C:\Users\A\Desktop\Games\renpy-6.99.12.2-sdk\renpy\display\behavior.py", line 778, in is_selected
    return is_selected(self.action)
  File "C:\Users\A\Desktop\Games\renpy-6.99.12.2-sdk\renpy\display\behavior.py", line 356, in is_selected
    return any(is_selected(i) for i in action)
  File "C:\Users\A\Desktop\Games\renpy-6.99.12.2-sdk\renpy\display\behavior.py", line 356, in <genexpr>
    return any(is_selected(i) for i in action)
  File "C:\Users\A\Desktop\Games\renpy-6.99.12.2-sdk\renpy\display\behavior.py", line 359, in is_selected
    return action.get_selected()
  File "renpy/common/00action_data.rpy", line 50, in get_selected
    return getattr(self.object, self.field) == self.value
AttributeError: 'StoreModule' object has no attribute ''

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 6.99.12.4.2187
Logic Heroes 1.0