The New GUI vs Legendary

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
NikiFig
Regular

The New GUI vs Legendary

#1 Post by NikiFig »

I am making a Death Note fan game, and after not touching Renpy for a few months I got the update. I hate the new GUI interface... It seems much easier to work with the old.

What are benefits and drawbacks to each version? I'm considering going back to the old.

Divona
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Falconers: Moonlight
Organization: Bionic Penguin
itch: bionicpenguin

Re: The New GUI vs Legendary

#2 Post by Divona »

New GUI is supported wide screen right off the bat. Make it easier to change GUI asset by just replace the image files, instead of the need to dive into the screen code. Most of the value configurations have been moved to "gui.rpy".

As far as I see of the code in "screens.rpy", there doesn't seem to be any different in term of language. Just more functionality added. Perhaps, it's just what people used to? If you're planning to modified the GUI code in "screens.rpy" then there are some new thing that needs to be learnt if you have used to legacy one. If you're planning to wipe everything and code every screens from scratch, there wouldn't be any different.

I would still recommend the new GUI, though, as it won't be going anywhere, and it's what being support. Also just to avoid confusion to the new Ren'Py users from having duplicated tutorial on new and old GUI. There already a problem of people confused why things don't work from the tutorial from the old obsolete wiki documentation.
Last edited by Divona on Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Completed:

NikiFig
Regular

#3 Post by NikiFig »

I miss the dialogue boxes.

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#4 Post by SundownKid »

The old GUI interface is actually harder to work with, as you have to delve into the screens.rpy code.

With the new GUI, not only does it actually look presentable without having to make a custom GUI, but you can modify it easily by changing values in the new gui.rpy without having to go looking for them in screens.rpy.

An easy way to add some character to the GUI is changing the fonts for the character's name and the text. (Preferably the name to a different font to provide some contrast).

But really, the new GUI is miles better. The Help is not in a separate document, but ingame. And the menus have a much more modern look to them. The old GUI was really embarrassing to look at and made any games made with it look amateurish.