Python 3.0 has been released!

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Ivlivs
Veteran

Python 3.0 has been released!

#1 Post by Ivlivs »

Hello all!

If you check python.org, you will see that Python 3.0 (also known as "Python 3000") has finally been released to the general public. It breaks backward compatibility with the 2.x series in favor of streamlining the language.

Given the extensive redesign, Ren'Py as it stands now would certainly not be able to run on it. However, would Ren'Py even benefit from this anyway?
Jitteh Dawn --- A VN by Ivlivs

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Python 3.0 has been released!

#2 Post by PyTom »

The answer is probably yes, at least insofar as python 2 will eventually become obsolete.

That being said, I will wait for a while for bugs to be shook out, for there to be more than one python 3 implementation, and for pygame (and other interesting libraries) to be ported over.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#3 Post by jack_norton »

I checked the site but don't see any "huge" benefit of Python3 applied to renpy in general, maybe missed something. But is always a wise thing to wait some time so all the bugs are fixed.
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#4 Post by PyTom »

Python 3 is more of a language cleanup than a stunning new features release. I suspect the Ren'Py internals will benefit from it far more than user code.

One advantage I can certainly see using is the new function syntax. Take the current definition of the Move function:

Move(startpos, endpos, time, repeat=False, bounce=False, time_warp=None, **properties)

there isn't really a good way of noting there that repeat, bounce, and time_warp are keyword-only arguments. Something like:

Move(startpos, endpos, time, *, repeat=False, bounce=False, time_warp=None, **properties)

would make that alot clearer.

There's a lot of cleanup I hope to one day do to Ren'Py. For example, xanchor can take 'left', 'center', and 'right' as synonyms for 0.0, 0.5, and 1.0. That probably should go at some point, as it slows down the code a bit for little advantage.

I'm also disliking how we have absolute and relative interpretations for xpos and ypos, based on types. (Placing a picture at xpos=1 versus xpos=1.0 puts it in a wildly different place.) I don't know how to fix this, however.

What I'm expecting to have happen is an always-supported yet feature-locked version of Ren'Py that runs on Python 2, and eventually focus more advanced Ren'Pys on Python 3. But that's still a long way off.

(To port to 3, I'd need pygame support, at a minimum. There are a few other tools I'll look for as a sign of python 3 adoption.)
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom