How do I make my game "compatible" for different resolutions

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Gustavs14
Regular

How do I make my game "compatible" for different resolutions

#1 Post by Gustavs14 »

Maybe I formulated it wrong, but basically what I'm looking for is making my game compatible for different resolutions. Right now I'm making all my pictures 1280x720, but I'm not sure if pulling the window to make the game bigger will work (although I think I want it to work like that. Basically so that in fullscreen it actually goes to fullscreen monitor, not just 1280x720 and some black font or some other stuff.

I don't know how else to say it, hopefully you guys understand what I'm looking for.

indoneko
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: How do I make my game "compatible" for different resolut

#2 Post by indoneko »

Game with 1280x720 resolution can still work well on Full HD monitor (1920x1080) in fullscreen mode.

Problem only arises if the monitor doesn't use 16:9 format (i.e ultra wide screen monitor/TV which usually have curved display)
My avatar is courtesy of Mellanthe

Ocelot
Lemma-Class Veteran
Github: MiiNiPaa
Discord: MiiNiPaa#4384

#3 Post by Ocelot »

... or good old 4:3 monitor, which is better suited for some tasks, so some people still have it.
< < insert Rick Cook quote here > >

indoneko
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by indoneko »

Ocelot wrote:... or good old 4:3 monitor, which is better suited for some tasks, so some people still have it.
Ah, you're right! I forgot about that! :lol:

I'm not sure what's the best solution to handle the difference in monitor resolution and/or aspect ratio. One could make multiple version of assets which cater to different res/AR, but in doing so will make the download size unnecessarily huge...
My avatar is courtesy of Mellanthe