[SOLVED] Invisible GUI / Text Problem (Nvidia Optimus users)

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
onigiri-dono

[SOLVED] Invisible GUI / Text Problem (Nvidia Optimus users)

#1 Post by onigiri-dono »

Hello everyone!
To begin with, I've searched everywhere if a solution to my problem existed before creating a new topic but only one other person had the same error as me :
https://github.com/renpy/renpy/issues/909

So, to explain the problem: as the title says, some GUI objects aren't showing and are invisible. The same is with text in some menus:

As you can see, the text is visible here, but not the GUI

And here, the GUI is invisible.

In addition, when I create a new project with the new GUI system and then go to the preferences, help, about etc.

The about window

So, this is my problem. It's really annoying because I can't properly work on my game.

If you have any idea how to overcome this problem, I'm all ears!

Oh yeah, before I finish; my computer is up to date with every driver (graphical etc.), I have 6 Go of RAM, an a i5 processor. I can run a lot of new games so I'm pretty sure it's not performance related.
Last edited by onigiri-dono on Wed May 17, 2017 4:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

vollschauer
Veteran
Github: vollschauer

Re: Invisible GUI / Text Problem

#2 Post by vollschauer »

onigiri-dono wrote:Hello everyone!
Oh yeah, before I finish; my computer is up to date with every driver (graphical etc.), I have 6 Go of RAM, an a i5 processor. I can run a lot of new games so I'm pretty sure it's not performance related.
It's probably not, you forgot most important part, graphic card? driver version?

onigiri-dono

#3 Post by onigiri-dono »

vollschauer wrote:
onigiri-dono wrote:Hello everyone!
It's probably not, you forgot most important part, graphic card? driver version?
Thank you for the reply.
When I said that my computer is up to date, I really meant it. The graphical card was the very first thing I updated.
Here is a small screen :

I'm actually an IT student, so I know a fair share about computers, that's why I'm completely lost because of this problem.

vollschauer
Veteran

#4 Post by vollschauer »

Maybe any info/hint in the "log.txt" (renpy sdk folder / tutorial ) ?

onigiri-dono

#5 Post by onigiri-dono »

vollschauer wrote:Maybe any info/hint in the "log.txt" (renpy sdk folder / tutorial ) ?
Holly molly!!!
First off, great idea to look into the log. I haven't even thought about it. And truly it allowed me to solve this annoying problem.

My laptop is an Nvidia Optimus one. If you haven't heard about it, it's a really cool thing for battery life, but really annoying for everything demanding in graphical power. Because you have to define in the configs which software should run with the Nvidia Card or the Intel Chipset.
Of course, already knowing that, I've configured it a long time ago, so that shouldn't have been a problem. Yet, after looking into the log, I've discovered this :

Code: Select all

Vendor: 'Intel'
Renderer: 'Intel(R) HD Graphics Family'
Version: '3.0.0 - Build 8.15.10.2266'
Which in itself is strange, but told me everything I should know: the Nvidia Card wasn't used.

Strangely enough, when I right-click on renpy.exe and choose run with Nvidia, even if it's already configured, voilà:

Code: Select all

Vendor: 'NVIDIA Corporation'
Renderer: 'GeForce GT 520M/PCIe/SSE2'
Version: '4.5.0 NVIDIA 382.05'
Now everything works like a charm:

Of course, now I have to always launch it with the right click, launch with procedure, but it only a small annoyance.

So a great thank you for the help. You've really saved me there.

The problem is solved! People with Nvidia Optimus: you have your answer ;-)

vollschauer
Veteran

Re: [SOLVED] Invisible GUI / Text Problem (Nvidia Optimus us

#6 Post by vollschauer »

Good that you solved the problem, I have also a HD Intel Card...in my Dell Laptop (but running Linux) did you checked the latest driver from Intel?
Would be nice to have it work both ways ;)