Best Way to Learn / Tutorials?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
That Oyajicon
Regular

Best Way to Learn / Tutorials?

#1 Post by That Oyajicon »

So I'm still trucking along on my Ren'Py journey. I'm picking up new concepts on a regular-ish basis (just learned how to make dialogue choices disappear once they've been read!), but I really, really wish there was a more structured way to do this stuff.

As I've mentioned before, most tutorials I find online are either horribly outdated, inaccurate, or just ten minutes of someone going "Umm...so you should be able to make the background change buuuut for some reason it's not working right now, so I dunno..."

Is there anything out there that's close to a "course" or "class" or just a step by step way of learning the language?

Scribbles
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pinewood Island, As We Know It
Projects: In Blood
Organization: Jaime Scribbles Games
Deviantart: breakfastdoodles
itch: scribbles

Re: Best Way to Learn / Tutorials?

#2 Post by Scribbles »

there are supposed to be tutorials here (I haven't pledged yet so I don't know what they're like or how many or anything)
https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

you can also search through here (look for newer posts vs older)

as far as exactly what you're looking for I'm not sure it exists right now? Which is a shame lol, but there is plenty of stuff out there you just gotta piece it together and read through the documentation and do a lot of google-ing

you can learn python on https://www.codecademy.com/ which might help with some things but it's really dry and VERY VERY slow.

this forum is probably the best spot for learning renpy though
Image - Image -Image

SogJapkofy

#3 Post by SogJapkofy »

For begginer, the best way to learn programming is programming, programming and even more programming. Try to join small free project with very low requirements and if this project have already more experienced programmer who will theach you, it's kind of perfect scenario. But I know it will be hard for you to find such kind of project. You can aslo get experience alone. Try to create very very short clones of existing games starting from kinetic novels, trouch dating sims, ending on jprg with minigames. Set yourself goals small enouch to dont give up before you finish your game.

Renpy documentation have all inforamions you need, and if it dont you can always ask here.
Regarding python basics, you should find decent tutorials on YouTube.

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#4 Post by trooper6 »

I can tell you want I did.
1) Read the Quickstart documentation.
2) Make a test project where you do each thing mentioned in the Quickstart documentation.
3) Take the codeacademy Basic Python course (it is very good)
4) Make a test project where I put some of the Python stuff I learned into Renpy.
5) Look at the code for the tutorial game and see how it works as I'm playing through the tutorial.
6) Look at the code for some Renpy games whose creators have left their code unarchived
7) Peruse the Cookbook section for some cool things that I can learn from.
8) Go deeper into the documentation when I need something specific.
9) Ask questions in the Questions Thread.

But really, I think test projects where you just test that one thing has been really helpful for me.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

That Oyajicon
Regular

#5 Post by That Oyajicon »

I appreciate the advice. I'm actually wondering if this is something I should be working on, like...as I learn, I think I'm going to take notes on the problems I'm having, the solutions I find, and see if I can put together a decent holistic tutorial of some kind. It seems like it'd be a fun way to motivate myself!