How to portray a social media feed?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
harleyquinzel

How to portray a social media feed?

#1 Post by harleyquinzel »

hey there! i'd really, really appreciate some help with this because it's throwing a slight spanner in the works of how i'm going to be designing my VN...

i want my VN's main dialogue scenes to have a chatroom look - which is super easy with NVL, and i've managed to program that part completely fine - and also sometimes have a screen come up with a social media feed on it. i'm not sure how best to show the social media feed as it's going to change so much in the game that using a new image for every game-day isn't ideal (and would rack up a massive filesize).

basically imagine a facebook wall. so i want the player to be able to view a character's wall and see posts they made (i'd only show about four posts per game-day, i don't need it to be scrollable or anything) so it'd have their icon, name and what they said (or what another person said). i did a really messy mock-up on photoshop of how i'd like it to look:

this feed would be within a frame - which is why i thought NVL might be the way to go, but i don't know if it's possible to have two seperate kinds of NVL styles in one game? additionally, i want the whole feed to be there, rather than how i imagine it'd go with NVL (click, post comes up, click, post comes up). i'm fairly handy with ren'py, and i thought i could think up a solution myself, but i'm really stumped.

in a dream world i'd also like to be able to have the player choosing between two options to say on that character's wall and then have it come up, but i've already evidently bitten off more than i can chew... anyway, if anyone could please help me out i'd appreciate it so much, i've really trawled around the forums and i'm still having trouble :/

PS: i'm using legacy.

xavimat
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Yeshua, Jesus Life, Cops&Robbers
Projects: Fear&Love
Organization: Pilgrim Creations
Github: xavi-mat
itch: pilgrimcreations
Discord: xavimat

Re: How to portray a social media feed?

#2 Post by xavimat »

Use your own screen, instead of NVL, to make this frame.
There is something similar (but more dynamic) in the cookbook: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=40245
Comunidad Ren'Py en español: ¡Únete a nuestro Discord!
Rhaier Kingdom A Ren'Py Multiplayer Adventure Visual Novel.
Cops&Robbers A two-player experiment | Fear&Love Why can't we say I love you?
Honest Critique (Avatar made with Chibi Maker by ~gen8)