Is self-voicing broken for anyone else in latest Renpy?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Vodka
Regular

Is self-voicing broken for anyone else in latest Renpy?

#1 Post by Vodka »

I'm running 6.99.12.14.2187

I'm experiencing a lot of problems with Renpy's self-voicing in this patch. Not just in my game, but in the tutorial and 'the question' as well.

I was not experiencing these issues before, and haven't made any changes to my script or personal computer that would explain this. I'm also receiving emails from a player who is experiencing the same issues, so I believe it's not personal to my machine.

Issues are as follows:
Voice helper only reads the first highlighted option menu, and then stops speaking.
Voice helper does not read the in-game text.
After exiting the program, the voice helper will tell me its disabled a few seconds after quitting the program.

Together, this is making it difficult for the blind to access renpy games. I just want to make sure that this is uniform across renpy, and that me and this player aren't just having the same issues by coincidence.

Can anyone get back to me after testing self-voicing in the latest version?

edit: just found this error message. don't get it every time, but it seems related

Which points to line fifteen of this code in the renpy lib:

Code: Select all

Text = WScript.Arguments(0)
Speaker = WScript.Arguments(1)

Set s = CreateObject("SAPI.SpVoice")

For Each Voice In s.GetVoices
    I = I + 1

If InStr(Voice.GetDescription, Speaker) > 0 Then
        Set s.Voice = s.GetVoices.Item(I-1)
        Exit For
    End If
Next

s.Speak Text
so the very last line appears to be giving an error

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: Is self-voicing broken for anyone else in latest Renpy?

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

Self voicing works here across multiple PCs.
It uses the library on your computer, so I'd do a search to see if that is broken. Its an accessibility thing.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Vodka
Regular

Re: Is self-voicing broken for anyone else in latest Renpy?

#3 Post by Vodka »

Looks like the other guy managed to find a workaround before I could. But he says he's having problems with all recent renpy releases. I assume it has something to do with me and him both running windows 7 x64 with 32bit sapi voice?
Hmmm sorry for late reply I was at lunch but its broken confirming your suspicians its the engine.

On an interesting note going to the lib folder I went into windows i 686 and found a executable.

Loading this file the voice works I never bothered with other games just ran the game launcher and then the right architecture was run and libraries.

I had no idea the library had an executable

This does narrow it down some what.

There is not a problem in the engine but the launcher itself.

Now I know, I can play games with the latest renpy if I go to the lib, folder and select the right thing to run.

Maybe something is missing, its only the launcher so till the dev fixes this thing I think I can play the games created.

In fact all apps renpy has have an executable in the system libraries, so I assume the launcher just runs that file, I am unsure what the launcher program actually dones I assume there are probably things I will miss by not running it but at least in this case I will be able to play the game at least I think so till the developer fixes things and I can run the game normally.

Its now not as urgent if I can right the game through its lib, there is probably some disadvantage running the engine this way however since there is no complicated registration system to bother with then we should be fine at least thats what I hope anyway.

See what the dev says anyway the issue seems to be on the main game startup exe file in the game's root which is the issue though.

If you know how it can be bypassed.

Still I really hope it is fixed.