Are there any builtin functions that hide the current screen

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
LiveTurkey
Regular

Are there any builtin functions that hide the current screen

#1 Post by LiveTurkey »

I was just wondering if renpy has any built in functions or commands that hide whatever the current screen showing is? Or is there a way to write that function?

Alex
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Are there any builtin functions that hide the current sc

#2 Post by Alex »

LiveTurkey
Regular

#3 Post by LiveTurkey »

Alex wrote:Try this screen action - https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/screen_a ... eInterface
I don't think that will work. That only hides it until the user clicks. I want it to be just like the regular Hide() action but instead of me giving it the name like
Hide("map")
I want it to be
Hide(currentScreen)

philat
Eileen-Class Veteran

#4 Post by philat »

The problem is that renpy is almost always showing multiple screens. The say screen, choice screen, menu screen etc. are all screens. There is no such thing as a 'current screen' really.

LiveTurkey
Regular

#5 Post by LiveTurkey »

philat wrote:The problem is that renpy is almost always showing multiple screens. The say screen, choice screen, menu screen etc. are all screens. There is no such thing as a 'current screen' really.
That makes sense. Thanks!

Is there a way to hide all screens? I currently created my own hide all screens function but I was wondering if there was one built in?

Alex
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Alex »

You can safely hide the screen that is not shown, so you can make your function to hide all the screens (make a list of names).
Another try would be to make your screen set the variable when it appears, so your function will know what screen it should hide.