Game won't run. Traceback tells me nothing. Please help.

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
sirhatsley

Game won't run. Traceback tells me nothing. Please help.

#1 Post by sirhatsley »

So I was working on my game and it just randomly decided to stop working. Here's the error message:

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

After initialization, but before game start.
File "renpy/common/00voice.rpy", line 360, in voice_interact
if _menu:
NameError: global name '_menu' is not defined

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "C:\Users\Tim\Downloads\renpy-6.99.12.4-sdk\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 295, in bootstrap
renpy.main.main()
File "C:\Users\Tim\Downloads\renpy-6.99.12.4-sdk\renpy\main.py", line 430, in main
renpy.game.script.report_duplicate_labels()
File "C:\Users\Tim\Downloads\renpy-6.99.12.4-sdk\renpy\script.py", line 890, in report_duplicate_labels
if renpy.parser.report_parse_errors():
File "C:\Users\Tim\Downloads\renpy-6.99.12.4-sdk\renpy\parser.py", line 2543, in report_parse_errors
renpy.display.error.report_parse_errors(full_text, error_fn)
File "C:\Users\Tim\Downloads\renpy-6.99.12.4-sdk\renpy\display\error.py", line 179, in report_parse_errors
error_fn=error_fn,
File "C:\Users\Tim\Downloads\renpy-6.99.12.4-sdk\renpy\game.py", line 280, in invoke_in_new_context
return callable(*args, **kwargs)
File "C:\Users\Tim\Downloads\renpy-6.99.12.4-sdk\renpy\display\error.py", line 43, in call_exception_screen
return renpy.ui.interact(mouse="screen", type="screen", suppress_overlay=True, suppress_underlay=True)
File "C:\Users\Tim\Downloads\renpy-6.99.12.4-sdk\renpy\ui.py", line 285, in interact
rv = renpy.game.interface.interact(roll_forward=roll_forward, **kwargs)
File "C:\Users\Tim\Downloads\renpy-6.99.12.4-sdk\renpy\display\core.py", line 2519, in interact
i()
File "renpy/common/00voice.rpy", line 360, in voice_interact
if _menu:
NameError: global name '_menu' is not defined

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 6.99.12.4.2187
Alabaster Gardens 1.0

I don't know what to do. No answers online seem to help at all. I'm just gonna put the entire game up and hope somebody can tell me what part of the script is broken.

https://mega.nz/#!5VxS2JLL!u2RnOBLVVJxK ... hkPrElAYZk

philat
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: Game won't run. Traceback tells me nothing. Please help.

#2 Post by philat »

There's an error.txt file in the main directory that tells you your problem -- some labels are defined twice. I deleted those, recompiled for good measure, and the game runs.

sirhatsley

Re: Game won't run. Traceback tells me nothing. Please help.

#3 Post by sirhatsley »

Yeah, that seemed to be the problem.

In case anyone encounters the same problem, let me explain what to do in greater detail.

Basically, I renamed day2.rpy to days.rpy, even though day2.rpy had already been compiled. For this reason, the game directory contained day2.rpyc and days.rpyc, which had the same labels.

The fix is to delete all of the .rpyc files in your game directory, let the game recompile all of them by launching it, and everything should work fine!~