Main menu help

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
bebeesun
Regular

Main menu help

#1 Post by bebeesun »

I havent touched renpy in over a year(so im very rusty) and i decided to mess with it again and i seen a new GUI was added and i thought cool! it should be easier to use....but im very confused and fustrated on getting it to work the way i want. what i want to do is have a simple start screen like this.
then when you click the start button it takes you another menu that displays different stories you can choose from. i want it to look just like this.

the problem im having is i dont know how to make a new menu (when i tried to the new menu i was making just overlapped on top of the 1st main menu) and make the buttons like the way they are in the picture because the new gui confuses me. i tried messing with the code and i can't figure it out. i know the answer is probably gonna be really simple and easy (or maybe i dont have to mess with the gui.rpy file at all idk)but i just cant figure out how to do it correctly without messing up the code and getting an error.

Scribbles
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pinewood Island, As We Know It
Projects: In Blood
Organization: Jaime Scribbles Games
Deviantart: breakfastdoodles
itch: scribbles

Re: Main menu help

#2 Post by Scribbles »

main menu or maybe navigation in screens.rpy you can remove all of the other options besides Start(), I believe they are only text buttons. then I guess you'd have to fiddle with it a bit to look exactly how you wanted, and then at Start call the second screen with the story selection options

There is new documentation that will help you a lot:
https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/index.html

I hope that helps? I'm not super knowledgeable about code though > <
Image - Image -Image

bebeesun
Regular

#3 Post by bebeesun »

i already did the first part i was asking how to make my menu look like the second one i dont know what code i should use i keep messing up the file and getting errors.

Scribbles
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pinewood Island, As We Know It
Projects: In Blood
Organization: Jaime Scribbles Games
Deviantart: breakfastdoodles
itch: scribbles

#4 Post by Scribbles »

bebeesun wrote:i already did the first part i was asking how to make my menu look like the second one i dont know what code i should use i keep messing up the file and getting errors.
for something that complicated I would either do a series of imagebuttons or an imagemap

You'll have to google around for the code though b/c I don't have the time to go into it at the moment > < I''m sorry. but hopefully that will at least get you to a tutorial. There should be cook book recipes for it too.

You'll have to create your own screen for it. You can model it after one of the simpler screens in the code
Image - Image -Image

bebeesun
Regular

#5 Post by bebeesun »

i was able to make a new menu now i have another problem the quick menu appears on the 2nd menu how do i get rid of it? i still want it there during the actual game just not on the menu.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#6 Post by Imperf3kt »

You'll have to show us how you created the second menu screen. I only have 5 minutes before I need to leave for work, but I'll try to answer during the day if I get any free time at work (I usually get 5 minutes here, 5 minutes there)

I can tell you its definitely possible to make a new screen for a false main menu. I did it myself in my current project.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

bebeesun
Regular

#7 Post by bebeesun »

this is all i did for the second menu in screen.rpy

Code: Select all

#------------Menu2-------

screen Menu2():
    add "bg.jpg"

and in script.rpy i just called the screen

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#8 Post by Imperf3kt »

Thats the issue. Don't call it. Place the screen in screens.rpy as you have, and on the first main menu you add a button (image or text) that has the action
action ShowMenu("Menu2")

Also, add tag menu to your Menu2 screen before adding the bg

Code: Select all

#------------Menu2-------

screen Menu2():
    tag menu

add "bg.jpg"

Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

bebeesun
Regular

#9 Post by bebeesun »

Yup! that fixed it! Thank you for the help!