Simple (code) questions [Solved]

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
PhoenixianUltima

Simple (code) questions [Solved]

#1 Post by PhoenixianUltima »

Hello, I am new to the forums and haven't done much searching yet, but I was wondering if there was a way to make an image scale to the size of a game window so I wouldn't get the checkerboard design (the "transparent pixel thing") behind where it doesn't reach. And if that isn't possible what my alternative options would be to achieve a similar effect.

My other question would be how to make "random events" happen, or how to make a seemingly random line of dialogue happen (i.e. player would reach where a choice of (let's say) 3 options but have the game randomly pick one (would like to adjust the odds so some are rarer than others).

Thank you in advanced for your help. Also sorry if this is the wrong forum/folder for questions like this.
Last edited by PhoenixianUltima on Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

Re: Simple (code) questions

#2 Post by Taleweaver »

From the top of the page of our General Topics forum: "Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum."

Moved.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

kistnerelizabeth
Regular

#3 Post by kistnerelizabeth »

In regards to your question about image size. If it's a background or whatnot, it's always best to determine the main resolution size you want your game to be in and then go by that. I have a resolution of 800X600. So, my backgrounds are all 800X600 and then my sprites, depending on their character's height and whatnot, are a variety of sizes. If you have any questions in regards to doing this, feel free to comment here or pm me.

As for randomized choices, I don't really know how to do that, so I can't help there.

But, perhaps this forum article can. It's about random events. I hope it's what you're looking for.:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=755

PhoenixianUltima

#4 Post by PhoenixianUltima »

kistnerelizabeth wrote:In regards to your question about image size. If it's a background or whatnot, it's always best to determine the main resolution size you want your game to be in and then go by that. I have a resolution of 800X600. So, my backgrounds are all 800X600 and then my sprites, depending on their character's height and whatnot, are a variety of sizes. If you have any questions in regards to doing this, feel free to comment here or pm me.

As for randomized choices, I don't really know how to do that, so I can't help there.

But, perhaps this forum article can. It's about random events. I hope it's what you're looking for.:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=755

The background thing worked for me thanks :)

And I got the random chance thing to work from what you posted (not quite what I'm looking for, but enough to get a sample code made up to work that I can post in another forum dedicated to that to get a response that'll better suit what I want. Thanks :D