problem with RPG battle engine

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
mohireza

problem with RPG battle engine

#1 Post by mohireza »

Hi guys! im a new user to renpay and i want to create a text adventure game with fighting.
so after searching the forum and cookbooks i found the Rpg battle engine for renpy but i dont know even how to use that! so i need your help to insert fightings to my game (look i dont want only a fighting game, i need a text adventure game what have fighting at some parts of it)

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

Re: problem with RPG battle engine

#2 Post by Mammon »

That engine has been outdated for a while, the modern Ren'py version is no longer compatible with it. If you want to use it, you could try and find the last version of Ren'py that still worked in the cookbook thread you found and then download that version somewhere, else you might want to find a new engine (maybe one not related to Ren'py at all) or an alternative for your RPG battles.
Last edited by Mammon on Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

mohireza

#3 Post by mohireza »

Mammon wrote:That engine has been outdated for a while, the modern Ren'py version is no longer capatible with it. If you want to use it, you could try and find the last version of Ren'py that still worked in the cookbook thread you found and then download that version somewhere, else you might want to find a new engine (maybe one not related to Ren'py at all) or an alternative for your RPG battles.
:( tnx at all... so i have to think about a new minigame at my game... OMG!!!

texi

#4 Post by texi »

I'm late to this but I'm currently using version 7 of that RPG engine in renpy 6.99. But I'm only using the active or simple turn battle mechanics so I'm not sure If the others work still. Initially, somethings won't work but try going to engine display around line 152, get rid of the exception and indent the

Code: Select all

Facing = property(getFacing, setFacing)
. That fixed a lot of things for me.

The tutorial is also told through all the demos as notes in the code. Also, I only used version 7 since i started on it, 7.5 probably works the same.

Evildumdum
Regular
Projects: ApoclypseZ

#5 Post by Evildumdum »

I'll say to you the same thing i say to everyone that wants to have some sort of battle system. There is no magic cut and paste solution. You need to learn at least basic python and apply it. Here is a good series. Watch up to at least episode 4 (i'd love to reccomend going beyond that, but honestly, better to get used to the basics first).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D48iCw3WWpI

If you want anything other than a very very basic combat system, you'll need to learn object oriented python. (Episodes 8, 9 and 10)
"If at first you don't succeed, try hitting it with a shoe."