Need help with changing text position [solved]

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
amaicherii
Completed: Tail Me
itch: sweet-gangster

Need help with changing text position [solved]

#1 Post by amaicherii »

Hello! I'm very new to Ren'py and am trying to make a short visual novel all on my own with help of tutorials. Thing is, I currently have a problem where I want the dialogue text and narration text to be in the same position but it's proving to be difficult :(

I attached two files. The first one shows the narration without the character's name, the second one shows the character talking. What I want is for the narration text from the first image to be at the same position as the dialogue text in the second image. But when there's no character talking, the text's position is the same as the character's name position.

I hope that made sense. I'd really appreciate the help!! :)
Attachments
Captura de pantalla 2017-06-12 a la(s) 17.44.34.png
Captura de pantalla 2017-06-12 a la(s) 17.45.28.png
Last edited by amaicherii on Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Remix
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: None... yet (as I'm still looking for an artist)
Projects: An un-named anime based trainer game

Re: Need help with changing text position

#2 Post by Remix »

In gui.rpy, try tweaking a few settings to shift the name to where you want it. You might also want to add a bit of style to it, maybe give it its own frame...

Code: Select all

define gui.name_xpos = 40
define gui.name_ypos = -64
Frameworks & Scriptlets:

amaicherii
Completed: Tail Me
itch: sweet-gangster

Re: Need help with changing text position

#3 Post by amaicherii »

Remix wrote:In gui.rpy, try tweaking a few settings to shift the name to where you want it. You might also want to add a bit of style to it, maybe give it its own frame...

Code: Select all

define gui.name_xpos = 40
define gui.name_ypos = -64
Hey, thanks for the answer. I think my ren'py's old cause I don't have gui.rpy. Just script.rpy, options.rpy and screens.rpy. I asked a friend yesterday and they were able to help me. This is what I did in case anyone else also has trouble with this:
Attachments
Captura de pantalla 2017-06-13 a la(s) 08.35.27.png
Captura de pantalla 2017-06-13 a la(s) 08.31.19.png