show_two_window not working?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
SandraMJ
Completed: The Hayseed Knight
Projects: The Hayseed Knight
itch: sandramj

show_two_window not working?

#1 Post by SandraMJ »

Hello everyone, I've been looking to separate the speaker's name from the textbox using show_two_window mode, only to find that the program didn't recognize two_window as an argument at all. I looked into it, and found that the # two window variant option mentioned in most tutorials was missing from the screens.rpy file. I added it myself, only to have the textbox I use get duplicated and moved to the top of the screen, with the names being thrown to the far left.

For clarity, this is what I have now:

(The new GUI obscures names far too much, hence the need for a new namebox)

And this is what I'd like to have:

Sorry if any similar question has been brought up, and thank you very much for your time :)

Remix
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: None... yet (as I'm still looking for an artist)
Projects: An un-named anime based trainer game

Re: show_two_window not working?

#2 Post by Remix »

In screens.rpy look for

style namebox:

The xpos, ypos and other style declarations are relative to the main textbox, so (presuming they say things like xpos gui.name_xpos) just pop to gui.rpy and find those values and tweak them...

define gui.name_xpos = 40
define gui.name_ypos = -64

The -64 should move it up above the say window text area.
Frameworks & Scriptlets:

SandraMJ
Completed: The Hayseed Knight
Projects: The Hayseed Knight
itch: sandramj

#3 Post by SandraMJ »

Fixed it myself tweaking the gui and screens some days ago, and also created a new style named namebox2 to have the namebox for the other character pop up at the right, but thanks a lot :)

This is how it currently looks:

I'm yet to figure out how to align the who label in the namebox itself so that the names are written from the center, occupying space in an even way, so any help with that would be appreciated.

Also, what I was wondering was whether show_two_window was still supported or not, since it doesn't seem to be present in the code at all.

Remix
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: None... yet (as I'm still looking for an artist)
Projects: An un-named anime based trainer game

#4 Post by Remix »

## The horizontal alignment of the character's name. This can be 0.0 for left-
## aligned, 0.5 for centered, and 1.0 for right-aligned.
define gui.name_xalign = 0.0

Hopefully that is the right one.

I think show_two_window was a trigger passed into Character to toggle whether a mini picture was shown within the say area... I could well be wrong there though. Never used that myself, so never tried to get it working.
Frameworks & Scriptlets: