Showing a screen bewteen background and sprites[SOLVED]

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
TellerFarsight
Veteran
Projects: Vora, Secrets Untold

Showing a screen bewteen background and sprites[SOLVED]

#1 Post by TellerFarsight »

I've seen how others have created new layers to do this with images

Code: Select all

define config.layers = ['bg', 'travelmap', 'master', 'transient', 'screens', 'overlay']
but what is the statement I use to show a screen on the travelmap layer? I want it to still be interactable, but it appears underneath the sprites. To my understanding, images can just be

show "image.png" onlayer travelmap
and screens can just be

$ renpy.call_screen("dumb_screen", _layer="travelmap") 
but what if my screen takes args? where do those go? I figured they would go like this, and it looks like I'm right

$ renpy.show_screen("location_list",day0map1,_layer="travelmap")
so why do I still end up with bits of screen in my character's hair?

Edit: Figured it out

textbutton l["place"] action [Show("location_photo", photo=l["photo"]), Show("icon_photo1", icon1=l["icon1"], _layer="travelmap"), Show("icon_photo2", icon2=l["icon2"], _layer="travelmap"), Show("sub_location_list",actions=l["actions_list"])]
The earlier bit of code did in fact move the "location_list" screen go to the travelmap layer, just not the screens that it links to. I just went into the code of the location_list screen and added the layer kwarg to the Show() action.
I'll leave this here in case anyone finds it useful.
Attachments
The icon picture is part of the screen that is supposedly on the travelmap screen, and the sprite is on the master layer
The icon picture is part of the screen that is supposedly on the travelmap screen, and the sprite is on the master layer
Current Project: Vora
Also Check Out: Devil Survivor [Reverse-Engineered]