[Solved] Formatting File Dates in Translations

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
AXYPB
Regular
Github: AXYPB

[Solved] Formatting File Dates in Translations

#1 Post by AXYPB »

I am currently preparing Japanese and Chinese translations for a Ren'Py game that did not originally contain translations. One of the components is the formatting of the time and date for save files in the FileTime() function, which currently uses "%b %d %Y, %H:%M". For Japanese, Simplified Chinese, and Traditional Chinese, I translated the string in FileTime() to "%Y年%m月%d日 %H:%M". According to several sources, Chinese dates are not to include leading zeroes in the month and day. How can strings be formatted in translation files to strip leading zeroes from %m and %d?
Last edited by AXYPB on Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Remix
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: None... yet (as I'm still looking for an artist)
Projects: An un-named anime based trainer game

Re: Formatting File Dates in Translations

#2 Post by Remix »

The %b etc parts are python datetime format codes. Have a look at the following link for info on them all

Time Formatting

Hope those give you all the info you need.
Frameworks & Scriptlets:

AXYPB
Regular

#3 Post by AXYPB »

I examined the format codes first, but no codes are provided that return non-zero-padded numbers. I must strip each component number of leading zeroes individually, but in a way that does not complicate the translation process. I've considered doing so in the file screen itself, using a series of concatenated FileTime().lstrip("0") calls, but because each language orders dates differently, this will result in complex code that I wish to avoid.

Remix
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: None... yet (as I'm still looking for an artist)
Projects: An un-named anime based trainer game

#4 Post by Remix »

Ah I see. Never really noticed that python didn't support non leading zero days in dates.

I think you likely have 2 options...

Either do as you theorized and strip out zeros from certain parts of the string for certain locales or just go with "%c" or "%x - %X" and hope that suffices.
Frameworks & Scriptlets:

philat
Eileen-Class Veteran

#5 Post by philat »

As this is a pure python question, there are usually better answers available elsewhere. https://stackoverflow.com/questions/952 ... ro-padding

You'd probably have to fiddle with the FileTime() a little to apply this (I frankly haven't looked), but since it's based on python's inner workings, I consider it a python question. Which is not to criticize OP for asking here! Just trying to be helpful, for future reference.

AXYPB
Regular

#6 Post by AXYPB »

I've discovered a solution that involves dividing each component of the timestamp into individual strings, translating them, and using string interpolation to create timestamps appropriate for each locale. lstrip("0") is used on the month and day elements.

This code is used in screens.rpy to create multiple buttons in a file screen.

Code: Select all

for i in range(1,8):

hotspot (20,70 * i,370,60) action FileAction(i):
                $ file_name = FileSlotName(i,14)

# Check if the slot queried by FileTime() returns a non-empty string.
                # Create a save file hotspot if it does, otherwise only print the slot name.
                if FileTime(i) is not "":
                    add FileScreenshot(i) xpos 5 ypos 5

# Each component of the timestamp is assigned to individual variables,
                    # allowing them to be reordered and have leading zeroes stripped.
                    python:
                        file_year = FileTime(i, format=_("%Y"))
                        file_month = FileTime(i, format=_("%m")).lstrip("0")
                        file_eng_month = FileTime(i, format="%b")
                        file_day = FileTime(i, format=_("%d")).lstrip("0")
                        # The hour and minute component is formatted with a leading comma and space, which allows
                        # for localizations in regions that do not use commas to separate date and time.
                        file_time = FileTime(i, format=_(", %H:%M"))
                        save_name = FileSaveName(i)

text _("[file_name]. [file_eng_month] [file_day] [file_year][file_time]\n[save_name!t]") style "save_title"

key "save_delete" action FileDelete(i)

else:

text "[file_name]." style "save_title"
In the translation files, the strings are reordered to form locale-appropriate timestamps. Each format argument above is translated to add date characters in Asian languages:

Code: Select all

translate japanese strings:

old "[file_name]. [file_eng_month] [file_day] [file_year][file_time]\n[save_name!t]"
    new "[file_name]. [file_year][file_month][file_day] [file_time]\n[save_name!t]"

old ", %H:%M"
    new "%H:%M"

old "%Y"
    new "%Y年"

old "%m"
    new "%m月"

old "%d"
    new "%d日"