2D platformer in Renpy?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
JayBlue
Regular

2D platformer in Renpy?

#1 Post by JayBlue »

How would one make a 2D platformer in Renpy. And are there any Renpy games that are 2D platformers out there?
If an Owl hoots in a forest, does it make a sound?

Remix
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: None... yet (as I'm still looking for an artist)
Projects: An un-named anime based trainer game

Re: 2D platformer in Renpy?

#2 Post by Remix »

Ren'py itself does not have a built-in framework for making a platform type game though it does integrate nicely with pygame.
You might be able to find a usable pygame platformer framework searching google and then implement that within Ren'py.

For a non platform (just sprite movement on 2D landscape) example, maybe check out:

RPG Overworld Engine

Maybe it will give you some ideas about how best to start tackling the concept.
I do think it will best be tackled with a fair grasp of python programming though.

P.S. You could, theoretically, do it without fully relying on pygame and just using Ren'py - maybe try putting together some map and movement using a SpriteManager class with some extra methods.
Frameworks & Scriptlets:

Remix
Eileen-Class Veteran

#3 Post by Remix »

Sub-note:
I just read This post from PyTom which implies that Ren'py does not have access to a full implementation of pygame, so running mini-games and the like using just pygame might be advised against.

The RPG Overworld thing does work in the newest release though... Still maybe best to start playing with User Defined Displayables as suggested by PyTom.
Frameworks & Scriptlets:

JayBlue
Regular

#4 Post by JayBlue »

Remix wrote:Sub-note:
I just read This post from PyTom which implies that Ren'py does not have access to a full implementation of pygame, so running mini-games and the like using just pygame might be advised against.

The RPG Overworld thing does work in the newest release though... Still maybe best to start playing with User Defined Displayables as suggested by PyTom.
I can try to experiment with the Creator Defined Displayables, but i don't know if I can even make heads or tails of what I'm looking at. I would need some help understanding what the code does.

Are there any other ways going about this?
If an Owl hoots in a forest, does it make a sound?

Remix
Eileen-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Remix »

My advice here (not trying to patronize in any way) would be to take a quick step back and again ask yourself your goals...

Is there a reason you want to do a platformer in ren'py?
Do you require or already have a Visual Novel aspect to the game?
Could another game maker, engine or development suite be used instead?
Do you have any programming skills in any languages that might help steer a path?

I ask all that because, realistically, developing a platformer within ren'py is going to require a strong understanding of python.

Might I suggest looking at other game maker platforms and see whether they would help you reach your goal in an easier manner?
Perhaps Try a Google Search and see what else is available.
Frameworks & Scriptlets: