Character with dialogue in new layer[SOLVED]

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
TellerFarsight
Veteran
Projects: Vora, Secrets Untold

Character with dialogue in new layer[SOLVED]

#1 Post by TellerFarsight »

I want to define a character such that their textbox and dialogue text appears in front of every other layer (meaning in front of screens and overlay and transient). Can I use some version of "show onlayer" in the character definition?

help = Character(None, window_background="helpbox.png", yalign=0.5, #???)

I've already looked through this page here. Maybe I could put it into the style?
https://www.renpy.org/wiki/renpy/doc/re ... /Character
Last edited by TellerFarsight on Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current Project: Vora
Also Check Out: Devil Survivor [Reverse-Engineered]

TellerFarsight
Veteran
Projects: Vora, Secrets Untold

Re: Character with dialogue in new layer

#2 Post by TellerFarsight »

I'm trying to make it its own screen now instead of making it a character object, but I still don't know how to put screens on anything other than the screen layer. It recognizes layer as a keyword, but when I use it like this it says 'overlay' is not defined (I'm just using overlay as a test before I bother defining my own layer)

screen tutorial(help):
text "[help]" xalign 0.5 yalign 0.5 size 50 color "#000000"
zorder 12
layer overlay

Edit: I've just made a screen that has text on it and call it whenever I need this character to speak.
Current Project: Vora
Also Check Out: Devil Survivor [Reverse-Engineered]