Changing character name appearance between nvl and adv?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
PMscenarios
Regular
Completed: Whale's Waldo
Projects: In Blood, Xenopathy
Tumblr: pmscenarios
itch: pmscenarios

Changing character name appearance between nvl and adv?

#1 Post by PMscenarios »

Basically I'd like to do a custom set of formatting on the character name and size when displayed in the nvl-mode.
The easiest would have been if I could just set this as "define gui.nvl_text_size" for example, but this is clearly not an accepted kind.

I have currently assigned most of the traits I want to the "define character", which changes some of the appearance I want, but I can't figure out how to change how the name is displayed.

(the text has not been edited to reflect that it has character names yet)

I would also like the have a version without character names, so that I could fill the whole screen with text if I wanted. Currently I've assigned the narrator to nvl_narrator (and use character defines for the adv narrator), but I cannot seem to change how the line spacing between paragraphs is done.
I've tried editing "define gui.nvl_spacing", I've tried using "style.nvl_vbox.box_spacing", and fiddle around with all the other gui settings, but no matter what I do, I cannot seem to get rid of the paragraph spacing.

I suspect what I want to do would probably be more practical if I used custom screens (I have assigned the nvl screen to its own layer so that I could display sprites above it), but I'm really struggling to figure out how the box and window thingies work. I just do not get it.
ImageImageImage