Bug: define.move_transitions and _window_during_transitions

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
delta
Epitome of Generic
Projects: yes

Bug: define.move_transitions and _window_during_transitions

#1 Post by delta »

Apparently, the members of a transition family defined with define.move_transitions() (including the default move and ease) that do not have a fixed starting or ending point (e.g., moveinleft, easeoutright or user-defined ones except the basic one) also move the textbox if it is visible during transitions (_window_during_transitions=True). It moves along with the sprite that is supposed to be moving, with the curious side-effect of an additional static one being drawn at the starting point (i.e., two are visible when moving out). Normal ease, move or the basic user-defined one do not behave like this.

Yay for using non-default settings, I guess. Present in 6.8.1 w/ hotfix, but it's definitely considerably older.
The rest is left as an exercise for the reader.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Bug: define.move_transitions and _window_during_transitions

#2 Post by PyTom »

Okay, I have a handle on what's causing this. Basically, the two text windows are different things, and so when the move occurs, it moves in the new one. (Or out the old one, or whatever.) I'll probably change it so it takes a layer parameter, so the MoveTransition applies to the master layer, rather than everything.

It's actually really hard to test Ren'Py with non-default parameters. There's only one set of default parameters, but the number of non-default parameters quickly grows massively large. (How would I find a bug that only occurs when config.framerate is exactly 49.25?)

So I resign myself to the fact that in a system as complex as Ren'Py, there are certainly bugs (or in this case, an unexpected behavior that I'm not sure rises to the level of a bug) that I haven't caught. I do try hard to make sure that the behavior is the same on all platforms, so testing a game on Windows will do a reasonable job of finding bugs on the Mac.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom