Side Images, how to dissolve?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Hollace
Deviantart: HollaceDay

Side Images, how to dissolve?

#1 Post by Hollace »

Hello! I've been reworking my visual novel to make it more appealing to the eye. There are quite a few problems I am getting stuck on, but I'm starting to understand how to do them. All though there is one specifically that I can't seem to get an understanding of. How to make side images dissolve with the screen or when a new emotion appears. I've looked through plenty codes and some are outdated and some just don't seem to work with me. For example when I do this;

Code: Select all

transform same_transform(old, new):
    old
    new with Dissolve(0.2, alpha=True)

define config.side_image_same_transform = same_transform
It just seems to be doing absolutely nothing. I tried to put the tranform and define under an init, I tried to change the Dissolve to dissolve. I think I might be using the code wrong in some kind of way, but I just can't get my grasp on why it's going so badly. The thing is, I really need this dissolve as whenever I add a new character in the front by using;

Code: Select all

scene bg characteristics 

BP normal "You see this list? This list shows you what for characteristics you can have!"

BP normal "If you gain the same characteristics and interests as the person you've got your eye on then they're more inclined to find you appealing!"

show phillip normal at left with moveinleft

BP normal "An example, I love creative and kind people!"
The dialogue box stays, but the side image dissapears for a bit and returns immediately without transition. If there is a fix for that, I'd absolutely adore that, but I'll still need the code for the transitions.

I've heard it might not work if the images aren't of the same height, but they're all the exact same height and length, so I don't really seem to understand where the problem is coming from.
I'm a freelance 2D character artist, check out my works on the websites listed here:
https://linktr.ee/HollaceDay