How to make a specific menu an NVL menu? (SOLVED)

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Natsu Dragneel
Regular

How to make a specific menu an NVL menu? (SOLVED)

#1 Post by Natsu Dragneel »

I'm trying to make a VN which uses both ADV menus and NVL menus, but the only way I know how to access the NVL menus is the

Code: Select all

init python:

menu = nvl_menu
which automatically transforms all of my menus into NVL menus and that's NOT what I want.
Can somebody please help me with this?
Last edited by Natsu Dragneel on Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

ceralynne
Projects: A shit dating sim game with more easter eggs than plot tbh

Re: How to make a specific menu an NVL menu?

#2 Post by ceralynne »

https://www.renpy.org/wiki/renpy/doc/tutorials/NVL-Mode

I think this is what you're looking for. Otherwise, I don't know. Nice username btw.

Pyr0

#3 Post by Pyr0 »

It seems that unlike nvl_menu, ren'py doesn't provide a default constant\reference for the adv_menu (or at least i couldn't find one). However, since we know that ren'py always starts with the adv style menu, we know that the "menu" name must reference the adv menu object, so you can simply save another reference to it exactly like nvl_menu. Then it's just a matter of changing the style of menu you want whenever you like.
Here is an example:

define adv_menu = menu #be sure this is always executed before you change the menu to something else

label start:
    $menu = nvl_menu

menu:
        "This menu is novel style":
            jump nextmenu

label nextmenu:
    $menu = adv_menu
    menu:
        "This menu is normal style":
            jump start

Natsu Dragneel
Regular

#4 Post by Natsu Dragneel »

Pyr0 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:20 am It seems that unlike nvl_menu, ren'py doesn't provide a default constant\reference for the adv_menu (or at least i couldn't find one). However, since we know that ren'py always starts with the adv style menu, we know that the "menu" name must reference the adv menu object, so you can simply save another reference to it exactly like nvl_menu. Then it's just a matter of changing the style of menu you want whenever you like.
Here is an example:

define adv_menu = menu #be sure this is always executed before you change the menu to something else

label start:
    $menu = nvl_menu

menu:
        "This menu is novel style":
            jump nextmenu

label nextmenu:
    $menu = adv_menu
    menu:
        "This menu is normal style":
            jump start
Thank you so much, works like a charm :)