How many words has a .rpy file?[CLOSED]

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
johandark
Veteran
Completed: Wild Guards, In Dreams
Projects: Pact with a witch
Deviantart: johandarkweb

How many words has a .rpy file?[CLOSED]

#1 Post by johandark »

I learned that in "Check Script (Lint)" under "Navigate Script", there´s the option to know how many words has your WHOLE project.

But I would like to know how many words has a single .rpy file where I have a whole scene to be translated and I been asked "How many words do I have to translate?"

So I would like to answer kindly to this translator to get easier this transaction... Is it possible? Is there something am I missing?

Thanks!
Last edited by johandark on Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

dragondatingsim
Regular
Tumblr: angelswithscalywings

Re: How many words has a .rpy file?

#2 Post by dragondatingsim »

Many text editors have a function to count words in an opened document. There are also sites where you can paste text and it will count the words for you.

mikolajspy
Regular
Completed: Too many, check signature
Deviantart: mikolajspy

#3 Post by mikolajspy »

Text editor will only work, if there's unchanged story in other document. For checking *.rpy files, most text editors would count other parts of script outside dialogues.
Here's what I came up with, but didn't test it, so I can't guarantee it would work.
1. Extract dialogues with RenPy Launcher to *.tab spreadsheet
2. Open it in software of your choice (I'm using Google Sheets)
3. Sort the lines by file and line number, so you get some nice kind of chronological order by files(scenes) (google how to sort with multiple columns)
4. Find the scene(file) you want to translate
5. Use word counting function in your spreadsheet editor, here's how it works in GSheets and Excel - https://webapps.stackexchange.com/quest ... preadsheet I'd recommend doing that in next column for each line.
6. Sum the counts per scene (*.rpy file)
7. ...
8. Profit!

Maybe there is a easier way, but it should work if you have your final story written directly in RenPy. I also don't know how accurate this method woud be.

johandark
Veteran
Completed: Wild Guards, In Dreams
Projects: Pact with a witch
Deviantart: johandarkweb

#4 Post by johandark »

mikolajspy wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:04 pm 1. Extract dialogues with RenPy Launcher to *.tab spreadsheet
Maybe there is a easier way, but it should work if you have your final story written directly in RenPy. I also don't know how accurate this method woud be.
Well in fact that worked! I didn´t remembered about "extract dialogues" but I´m sure there must be a easier and more comfortable way to do it...

Now I know exactly how many words has my document, I thought they were 40.000, I made an estimation of how many lines and how many words per line... but at the end the real number is 16.295, that´s about 23.705 less words! (in prices it can be about 474$ less... wich is important to know... xD).

Thanks for your help! ;)

mikolajspy
Regular
Completed: Too many, check signature
Deviantart: mikolajspy

#5 Post by mikolajspy »

johandark wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:32 pm Well in fact that worked! I
at the end the real number is 16.295, that´s about 23.705 less words!
Glad it worked!
I just checked it myself with Google Sheets and it should give the same number for entire dialogue spreadsheet as Lint when summed, so this method, even tough not convenient, is quite accurate, just make sure to use correct function with right cells.
The real number for transaltion could be even a bit smaller, because it also counts things like "...", "Hmm..." and "OK", etc. as one word, which don't really need translation :D