How can I combine Ren’Py with complex gameplay?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
polisummer
Projects: Absolutely Haunting, What?! My Neighbors are Demons?!!
Organization: Kyungeki Workshop
Tumblr: polisummer
itch: polisummer

How can I combine Ren’Py with complex gameplay?

#1 Post by polisummer »

I’m making an action adventure game in raw python + an external library. I want it to be story driven, so I’m going to use Ren’Py for the dialogue and story CGs. What is the best way to use Ren’Py with more complex gameplay logic (or vice versa)? The only game I know of that does something similar is Sakura Dungeon. How would I switch the gameplay style from a usual Ren’py scene to my custom gameplay and then switch back like them?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: How can I combine Ren’Py with complex gameplay?

#2 Post by PyTom »

https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/udd.html

You probably want the Creator-Defined Displayable documentation, though it depends on how complex the gameplay logic needs to be. Note that you generally can't just plug arbitrary python into Ren'Py. At this point, Ren'Py has a custom OpenGL-based rendering system that non-Ren'Py code often isn't made to accept.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom