Best video format for Renpy?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Zherot
Regular

Best video format for Renpy?

#1 Post by Zherot »

What do you think would be the best format in terms of file size (short), in terms of quality and of course compatibility?

I tried to use MP4 but it didn't even appeared but for AVI it did worked.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: Best video format for Renpy?

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

After a lot of misunderstandings and trial and error, I found vp8 or vp9 in an mkv container best.

.mp4 is not supported.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Zherot
Regular

#3 Post by Zherot »

Imperf3kt wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:08 am After a lot of misunderstandings and trial and error, I found vp8 or vp9 in an mkv container best.

.mp4 is not supported.
Ah, so that is why it didn't worked then, noted.

mkv its matroska?

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Imperf3kt »

Yes, mkv is matroska. It isn't a format though (and neither is mp4) but rather a container file. Think of it like a zip. You only see myfile.zip, but open it in the right program and now you see more files. In the case of mkv, that would be a video stream, audio and maybe subtitles, pictures and font files among other various attachments.

Make sure your video codec is supported. Vp9 should work on any platform and is royalty free. This is the codec found most commonly on the internet now as .webm videos.

For your audio (if any) I would suggest OGG Vorbis (.ogg) or Opus at a variable bitrate greater than 160kb/s
I'd personally go with Opus
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opus_(audio_format)

Twitter

Zherot
Regular

#5 Post by Zherot »

Imperf3kt wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:17 am Yes, mkv is matroska. It isn't a format though (and neither is mp4) but rather a container file. Think of it like a zip. You only see myfile.zip, but open it in the right program and now you see more files. In the case of mkv, that would be a video stream, audio and maybe subtitles, pictures and font files among other various attachments.

Make sure your video codec is supported. Vp9 should work on any platform and is royalty free. This is the codec found most commonly on the internet now as .webm videos.

For your audio (if any) I would suggest OGG Vorbis (.ogg) or Opus at a variable bitrate greater than 160kb/s
I'd personally go with Opus
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opus_(audio_format)
Do you know any good converters that can change for example from .avi or .mp4 to the formats that you mentioned?

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Imperf3kt »

I prefer to suggest xmedia-recode for these situations.

Twitter

Zherot
Regular

#7 Post by Zherot »

I'll check it out.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#8 Post by Taleweaver »

Ren'Py questions should be posted in the Ren'Py forum.

Moved.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Zherot
Regular

#9 Post by Zherot »

Taleweaver wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:04 pm Ren'Py questions should be posted in the Ren'Py forum.

Moved.
Is this not the Renpy forum???

Zherot
Regular

#10 Post by Zherot »

Whe you compile and distribute a pryect what happens to the videos, images and other resources? are they ecnrypted or anyone can access them without even playing the game?

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

#11 Post by Donmai »

Zherot wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:12 pm Is this not the Renpy forum???
Lemma Soft Forums is a general story based games discussion site, not only a Ren'Py site. You have posted several Ren'Py questions in the general discussion thread, out of the Ren'Py section. That's why they had to be moved to the proper place.
Zherot wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:12 pm Whe you compile and distribute a pryect what happens to the videos, images and other resources?
It's in the docs that you love: https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/build.ht ... tributions
Your game assets will be locked inside a rpa file. Of course hackers will always find the key to unlock that file if they really want, but that's life.
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

Zherot
Regular

#12 Post by Zherot »

Donmai wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:33 pm
Zherot wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:12 pm Is this not the Renpy forum???
Lemma Soft Forums is a general story based games discussion site, not only a Ren'Py site. You have posted several Ren'Py questions in the general discussion thread, out of the Ren'Py section. That's why they had to be moved to the proper place.
Zherot wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:12 pm Whe you compile and distribute a pryect what happens to the videos, images and other resources?
It's in the docs that you love: https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/build.ht ... tributions
Your game assets will be locked inside a rpa file. Of course hackers will always find the key to unlock that file if they really want, but that's life.
Ah, I'm sorry i really thought this forum was all about Renpy.

Honestly yeah i hate em but i now understand them a bit more, so Renpy does this is automatically or it is something i will have to do? (the .rpa thingy)

Maybe when i have more experience I will make a guide for newbies for Renpy so they don't have to suffer the same fate.

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

#13 Post by Donmai »

Your threads, with all the answers you got so far, are already becoming a treasure guide for any Ren'Py beginner :) .
When you build a game distribution, Ren'Py automatically gets the game assets and put them into a monolithic archive.rpa file. It's possible to have several rpa files, one for each group of assets, as described here: https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/build.html#archives
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

Zherot
Regular

#14 Post by Zherot »

Donmai wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:41 am Your threads, with all the answers you got so far, are already becoming a treasure guide for any Ren'Py beginner :) .
When you build a game distribution, Ren'Py automatically gets the game assets and put them into a monolithic archive.rpa file. It's possible to have several rpa files, one for each group of assets, as described here: https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/build.html#archives
Ah, now i get it, because i did read that and i didn't understood that part, i thought we had to do that manually that is why i asked but now i get it completely thanks.

About my threads, yeah they cover a lot of basic stuff but sometimes i think i am annoying people with my questions, i really don't like to bother people but i have no other option here, i really wish the documentation was more begginer friendly so didn't had to ask a lot of questions, i suppose it is also natural.