[SOLVED] How can I keep the side image when another character is speaking?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Black Cat 2412
Regular
Projects: Rapunzel: A classic retold
Deviantart: BlackCat2412

[SOLVED] How can I keep the side image when another character is speaking?

#1 Post by Black Cat 2412 »

Good day ladies and gentlemen.

I want to ask how to keep my side image (of the main character) on the screen while another character is speaking. I want it to appear like this image below:(Taken from The Lady's choice by Harliqueen)
In that game the player can still see the main character while the other character is speaking to her (thus makes it possible to show her reaction to the things being said)
Can someone please show me how to do that? Currently, my side image will disappear whenever a line of dialogue from another character is spoken.

Just in case, here is my current code:

Code: Select all

define c = Character("Cecillia", color="#FF8C00", image="cecil")
    define w = Character("William", color="#0000CD")

image side cecil = "side_cecil normal"

scene bg1

c "It's good? Great! Can you see me yet?" 

show will normal

w "What about me?"

c "Everything look fine now"
When the character William start talking, Cecillia's image will disappear.

On another note, I think of "side image" as some thing can only be used by main character, is that correct? Sorry, I am very new to Renpy and coding in general. (The documentation does not help me much-I find it pretty confusing)

Thank you for reading this!
Last edited by Black Cat 2412 on Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scribbles
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pinewood Island, As We Know It
Projects: In Blood
Organization: Jaime Scribbles Games
Deviantart: breakfastdoodles
itch: scribbles

Re: How can I keep the side image when another character is speaking?

#2 Post by Scribbles »

you can use side images with any character and it'll pop up when they speak. As for having a side character throughout the whole game I think you can just define the sprite images position to be there, vs using a side image at all? then just use show. you could create a custom transform then say:

show mary at side_area

with side area being the custom transform... does that help? I hope it does ^^; I'm rly bad at explaining stuff
Image - Image -Image

skyeworks
Regular
Projects: K9-11
itch: skyefrost

#3 Post by skyeworks »

OOOH! I KNOW DIS! I saw this while trying to solve a different problem! Taken from this link right here

Code: Select all

define e = Character("Eileen", image="eileen")

init python:
     config.side_image_tag = "eileen"
This means that only main character has a side image and it's stays there...I think.

Black Cat 2412
Regular
Projects: Rapunzel: A classic retold
Deviantart: BlackCat2412

#4 Post by Black Cat 2412 »

OMG, the code worked! IT WORKED!!! Now I have my main char stay exactly where I want her to. Thank you, thank both of you very much!

skyeworks
Regular
Projects: K9-11
itch: skyefrost

#5 Post by skyeworks »

Black Cat 2412 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:01 am OMG, the code worked! IT WORKED!!! Now I have my main char stay exactly where I want her to. Thank you, thank both of you very much!
Yeah, it's the thing, the documentation mention it but it's really not user non programmer friendly. Like I had to read a couple of times to understand it. haha
If this is given, then the side image will track the given image tag, rather than the image associated with currently speaking character. (Code)

Will make the side image track the "eileen" image tag, which is associated with the e character.
Yeah, If you aren't a programmer, this don't make a lot of sense. (I'm not one so I was so confused too.) It's basically said what you wanted saying that only one character gets a side image but it's written too technical. Which is why I keep looking at the old documentation as it is way more user friendly. Us noobs gotta stick together!