Question about "image <name> = animation(pic,time,pic)" code

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
PetrolJunk

Question about "image <name> = animation(pic,time,pic)" code

#1 Post by PetrolJunk »

First let me say that i'm very excited about learning renpy, and a little python while im at it. This program and forum seem like it will be awesome to be a part of.
Ok. So as i have been reading tutorials and the manual to learn what i can about renpy, i came across some code in this forum and a tutorial video (both recent so i expect they are using v6.99.12) that use a bit of code that i can not find any info on in the manual or otherwise. It looks like this:

Code: Select all

"image <name> = animation(pic,time,pic)
I understood ATL to be needed but found this to appear more neat and readable in code. As i couldn't find any info for it, i was curious about 2 things:
1) what are the specifics of the function (are there any special params, or fields that may have some interesting uses?
2) are there other bits of codes that don't appear in the manual that may be of use?

The two areas i found the codes used in are in this forum post:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=45009&p=460721&hili ... on#p460721

And this awesome and only recent version video tutorial i could find after some searching:
https://youtu.be/SZIJ4R1CWgA

P.s thank Pytom for making this program and forum.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Question about "image <name> = animation(pic,time,pic)" code

#2 Post by PyTom »

Animation is something that's no longer documented, since it has been replaced by ATL.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom