How to make character name textbox location separate from dialog text?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
jingleriot
Regular
Projects: Ventio Mortis, Sector Chimera, Monster Party
Deviantart: jingleriot
itch: https://jingleriotga

How to make character name textbox location separate from dialog text?

#1 Post by jingleriot »

I've been looking for a while now on how to move the speaking character name text to a certain location, rather than having it follow the dialog in the text box. I'm not sure if I'm overlooking something simple or if I'm not wording the question correctly, but basically what I would like to do is have the character speaking's name in the name box, and the text in the text box. As well as that, I would like to know how to change the speaking character's name text to a different font than the dialog font as well, if possible. I'm sure it's simple and I'm overlooking something but I'm absolutely confused at the moment and would appreciate any help or forwarding to a topic that has the answers I need. I've included an image as an example of what I am asking. Thank you!
ui work.png

Remix
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: None... yet (as I'm still looking for an artist)
Projects: An un-named anime based trainer game

Re: How to make character name textbox location separate from dialog text?

#2 Post by Remix »

In gui.rpy amend name_text_font in sector:
## Fonts and Font Sizes ##
and any other value with the term 'namebox' in it

In screens.rpy you can further style the area by tweaking 'style namebox:' settings and the actual screen, 'screen say'
Frameworks & Scriptlets:

jingleriot
Regular

#3 Post by jingleriot »

Thank you for responding! In my particular files, it didn't create a gui.rpy file. I added one in myself, and it caused the game not to load whatsoever. As for the screens.rpy file, neither of those terms are searchable, and so I am lead to assume that they are not terms within the script that I have. I guess the game code I am working with is from a much older version of Ren'Py. Is my only option to just use the new GUI interface? And again, thank you for responding.

Remix
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: None... yet (as I'm still looking for an artist)
Projects: An un-named anime based trainer game

#4 Post by Remix »

The older versions of Ren'py used 'style.keyword = value' rather than 'gui.new_keyword = value'
Unfortunately I am not overly familiar with the older versions so cannot help much.

If you are totally redesigning the game and just keeping the 'conversation and choices' it might be worth trying to tease in the new gui system. If it is more than just a revamp though, it may be best to keep the old version and try to locate the right settings to amend.

Maybe someone familiar with the older syntax can help
Frameworks & Scriptlets:

jingleriot
Regular

#5 Post by jingleriot »

I kept looking around and eventually figured out how to fix my problem, so thank you so much for helping me get to the point I needed haha!!
And just in case anyone happens to stumble across this thread, I found the fix here: viewtopic.php?p=307318