Can Ren'Py Support an Internal Point System

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
stoneslayer9001
Projects: Project Knight

Can Ren'Py Support an Internal Point System

#1 Post by stoneslayer9001 »

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but I've started writing a VN script that includes numerous critical decision points that heavily factor into the overall continuity of the game, as well as determines the achievable endgame.

Basically, each critical will add a plus 1 point to that character, and progress past the final decision will require an in game logic assessment to determine if the acceptable number of points have been obtained.

I know Ren'Py incorporates Python (probably answering my own question), but I'm not a programmer and don't know what Python is capable of. I am planning on taking a programming course, to give this my best effort, but as of right now I don't even know BASIC.

Please PM me with any inquiry about this project, or if you are interested in proofreading/Pre-Alpha testing.

If you would like to privately submit an example of background art or a music box, please email me at stoneslayer9000@outlook.com.

You can follow our project on twitter, @ProjectKnightVN, as well as find updates for my other future projects @StoneSlayer9000

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Can Ren'Py Support an Internal Point System

#2 Post by PyTom »

Yes, Ren'Py easily supports this.

I'm not sure if it makes sense to provide and example if you're not ready to begin developing, but this is Ren'Py's bread and butter.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

stoneslayer9001
Projects: Project Knight

Re: Can Ren'Py Support an Internal Point System

#3 Post by stoneslayer9001 »

Thank you.

I only have a small section of the script written (30,000 words in and many more to go), but I've already spent a lot of time planning the layout of the decision points - I already have a visual picture of every possible path, and have spent hours mentally running them in my head, to make sure there are no continuity errors. I was actually trying to find a way to scrap the points system, but I've made it too integral to the overall game.

I also had concerns about creating the artistic elements, but after looking at the other boards and seeing the vast support network this place offers, I see those concerns are nill as well.

Please PM me with any inquiry about this project, or if you are interested in proofreading/Pre-Alpha testing.

If you would like to privately submit an example of background art or a music box, please email me at stoneslayer9000@outlook.com.

You can follow our project on twitter, @ProjectKnightVN, as well as find updates for my other future projects @StoneSlayer9000