builds on OS other than your own

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Scribbles
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pinewood Island, As We Know It
Projects: In Blood
Organization: Jaime Scribbles Games
Deviantart: breakfastdoodles
itch: scribbles

builds on OS other than your own

#1 Post by Scribbles »

so this has to have been asked before... and i KNOW that the documentation says that it's possible -- but if I'm on a PC and make a mac build will there be any issues with it? I have no way of testing it since I don't have a mac or know anyone who has a mac... I've put a lot of work into changing the icons, and trying to make it look like a real polished game and I'd feel awful if that didn't translate over > <; or if it didn't work somehow... I know it creates zip files and I believe I read somewhere that if I unzipped that file it would no longer work for a mac - is that true as well? (i thought about putting the game on steam but I believe i'd have to have builds for all OS, and I don't know that they accept zipped files?), also are any of these problems present with Linux? (I feel like they aren't but please correct me otherwise!!)

Sorry my game is super close to release and maybe it's just pre release jitters but any advice or answers would be greatly appreciated :)
Image - Image -Image

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: builds on OS other than your own

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

My understanding is that a game compiled on Windows or Linux, will work on either as both are x86 but mac must be compiled on an actual mac because the hardware is different.

If you compile a game for linux and unzip it, then rezip it, you lose the permissions info and the game won't run on a linux os anymore. You can unzip it though, I unzip all my games on a Windows computer before transferring them to linux and get no errors.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Scribbles
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by Scribbles »

Imperf3kt wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:30 pm My understanding is that a game compiled on Windows or Linux, will work on either as both are x86 but mac must be compiled on an actual mac because the hardware is different.

If you compile a game for linux and unzip it, then rezip it, you lose the permissions info and the game won't run on a linux os anymore. You can unzip it though, I unzip all my games on a Windows computer before transferring them to linux and get no errors.
That's what I was worried about > < thanks for the heads up!
Image - Image -Image

Karl_C
Veteran

#4 Post by Karl_C »

Imperf3kt wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:30 pm My understanding is that a game compiled on Windows or Linux, will work on either as both are x86 but mac must be compiled on an actual mac because the hardware is different
Mac is x86 too for a while already. No more PowerPc CPU...

Scribbles
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Scribbles »

Found this link about the recent updates to renpy:
https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/changelo ... sh-support

which talks about needing a mac and a Developer ID Application certificate to work with mac's Sierra OS -- > < so I guess a mac build is out until I get my hands on a mac

(updating this in case anyone stumbles upon it later)
Image - Image -Image

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#6 Post by PyTom »

You can make the mac build, it's just that it will be harder for your players to run it, since they'll have to disable the parts of mac os meant to prevent software that hasn't paid the apple tax from running.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Scribbles
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by Scribbles »

PyTom wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:46 pm You can make the mac build, it's just that it will be harder for your players to run it, since they'll have to disable the parts of mac os meant to prevent software that hasn't paid the apple tax from running.
oh, I'll keep looking into it > < that's rly lame of apple
Image - Image -Image