General Tips for Newbies by A Newbie

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
kara24601
Veteran
Projects: Numerous unfinished dreams await completion.

General Tips for Newbies by A Newbie

#1 Post by kara24601 »

I know , I know , I won't be _extremely_ helpful...yet...but hopefully the next person who starts / started out as clueless as I was might find this to be useful.
Anyway , for your game , of course you'll need -
its own folder
a copy of "run_game.exe" changed slightly ( of course ) to something like "run_tryout.exe" or whatever you've named your project
For graphics , to make slight alterations...as usual...make copies beforehand so you don't accidentally mess up something you might use later.
For example...save a copy of mainmenu as a 24-bit bitmap , note the width and height or keep saving copies with varied filenames for different menu backgrounds.
Then , in PSP ( paint shop pro if you didn't know for some reason ) or a similar program , save a copy of your bitmapped menu thing as "menu.jpg" or whatever you think would look best ( I prefer changing the resolution back to 256 colors / 8 bit then gif if it doesn't look good as a jpg...for some reason things just don't always look great in one format...what may look good as a gif may not as a jpg and vice versa...If I remember correctly photos should be saved as jpgs and computer generated art such as mouse drawn art done in Windows paint...works best as gifs .....I know you probably already know this if you've been working with graphics a long time and blah blah blah...just reminding / stating....not meaning to offend or anything.. so...I'm sorry if I have... )
remember that script.rpy can be changed to script.txt and back again with no harm no foul :wink: :lol:
You don't really need to have a "script.rpyc" or "script.rpy.bak" , one of them will "pop up" automatically after running your new "script.rpy" for the first time or whatever ( you'll see what I mean when you're messing about with the scripting and stuff )
Remember , if you've renamed a file , to reflect the change in your coding / script.
For example , I changed "Eileen" 's emotion graphic files to things like "yokohappy.png" and "yokoblank.png" .

And so , the coding was changed from -

# Character pictures.
image eileen happy = Image("9a_happy.png")
image eileen vhappy = Image("9a_vhappy.png")
image eileen concerned = Image("9a_concerned.png")

to

# Character pictures.
image yoko happy = Image("yokohappy.png")
image yoko veryhappy = Image("yokoveryhappy.png")
image yoko blank = Image("yokoblank.png")

============================================

Sample Splashscreen :

label splashscreen:
scene black
show text "A Kara Ann Vortex Production" with fade
$ renpy.pause(1.0)
show text "Powered by Ren'Py" with fade
$ renpy.pause(1.0)
hide text with fade

return

( of course change the part after "show text" to reflect YOUR project ...something like show text "A Ronald Short" if your name is Ronald or whatever you like that best describes you / your group )

============================================

Oh , and of course always credit the source if you've borrowed images.
As far as I know the demo images ARE NOT public domain BUT there was a notice somewhere that you can use them ( or at least the character graphics ) in your own game / for a first project ... well...the character "Eileen" states that she'd like to be in a full game someday , or something like that.
( My suggestion would be ask Py Tom or email him or pm him in here...blah blah blah. :wink: :lol: )
And always ask first if there's a way to contact the person and they don't have copyright right there on the site with the graphics...blah blah blah.

Please check out my resources thread for more info / help

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewtopic.php?t=445

Ok , just asked and here's what you need to know about the demo game images and script terms of use / policies :

"Okay, my policy in a nutshell: I want to keep the character graphics for myself. I plan to use that character in a game someday, and so I don't want her to be used in another game. I don't mind her being used in non-game demos of Ren'Py, but I'd want approval first.

All the other graphics (backgrounds, boxes, etc) are fair game.

Now... these are my criteria for a publicly released game. If you want to use my character art in a clearly-labelled demo, or use it as a tool to recruit an artist to your project, that's okay by me.

I placed the script in the public domain. You can use it as the basis for whatever you want."

So...character graphics - No , unless it's a clearly labelled demo or a tool to recruit an artist. Other graphics and script - ok for use. ( but it's a nice touch to still add credits so that people can be reminded / know who had it first...*winks* )

Thanks again PyTom for Ren'Py and your commentaries , quick replies...ect.

Going back to the subject of "bak" files , I can't think of any project that "needs" a bak file so you shouldn't worry about it , it's not a necessary thing.

I lost track of my little tutorial-to-be thingie / tutorial in progress document for a while and then found it again.
I am sorry for any lack of helpfulness in using Ren'Py from me.
Even though this "tutorial" is still in the beginning stages , I hope it may be of help to somebody.