All of my Ren'Py games are not openning

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
ck5000

All of my Ren'Py games are not openning

#1 Post by ck5000 »

Hello,
last week I've bought my very first 64 bit system operated new computer (windows 7 ultimate) and I tried installing and running some of my Ren'Py games that I had on my old 32 computers (windows 7) on my new one, they all installed just fine but when I tried to run them ALL of them won't open (even tho when I open task manager I can see the game running in "Processes" but not opening at all) , even tho my friend is using the same system and Ren'Py games and it's working just fine with him, I've also tried to update my drives hoping it would solve the problem without any luck. can anyone please help m resolve this problem, I'm desperate I've tried everything I could think of without any luck, please help me.

thanks

Karl_C
Veteran

Re: All of my Ren'Py games are not openning

#2 Post by Karl_C »

What are the contents of "errors.txt" and "traceback.txt" in the games root directory?

Remix
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: None... yet (as I'm still looking for an artist)
Projects: An un-named anime based trainer game

#3 Post by Remix »

Do you mean games launched through the renpy launcher or compiled/distributed games?
Did you directly just copy the renpy folder across from the old 32 bit system or install a new build from download?
Frameworks & Scriptlets:

ck5000

#4 Post by ck5000 »

Karl_C wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:14 am What are the contents of "errors.txt" and "traceback.txt" in the games root directory?
I couldn't find "errors.txt" or "traceback.txt" files but I did find an "errors.pyo" and "traceback.pyo" files and I don't know how to open them, to be honest.
Last edited by ck5000 on Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ck5000

#5 Post by ck5000 »

Remix wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:28 am Do you mean games launched through the renpy launcher or compiled/distributed games?
When I try to launch games that are made by Ren'Py engine from any creator.
Remix wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:28 am Did you directly just copy the renpy folder across from the old 32 bit system or install a new build from download?
I tried several games, some of them required "unzipping" from "zip" or "rar" files and some of them required installation, both have the same result, none of them open...when I click on the game icon to start the game nothing happens at all.

Karl_C
Veteran

#6 Post by Karl_C »

ck5000 wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:59 pm
Karl_C wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:14 am What are the contents of "errors.txt" and "traceback.txt" in the games root directory?
I couldn't find "errors.txt" or "traceback.txt" files but I did find an "errors.pyo" and "traceback.pyo" files and I don't know how to open them, to be honest.
What about "log.txt"?

ck5000

#7 Post by ck5000 »

Karl_C wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:51 pm
ck5000 wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:59 pm
What about "log.txt"?
heres what the "log.txt" file contains:

Code: Select all

Sun Sep 10 08:14:44 2017
Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1
Ren'Py 6.99.10.1227

Bootstrap to the start of init.init took 0.05s
Early init took 0.04s
Loader init took 0.20s
Loading error handling took 0.03s
Loading script took 0.86s
Loading persistent took 0.00s
Importing _renpysteam: ImportError('No module named _renpysteam',)
Set script version to: (6, 99, 10)
Running init code took 0.30s
Loading analysis data took 0.09s
Analyze and compile ATL took 0.02s
Index archives took 0.00s
Dump and make bac

Karl_C
Veteran

#8 Post by Karl_C »

Have you checked out this one already (scroll down to PyTom's response)?

And: Could you try to start your game from the command line (as far as I remember: 'WIN + R', 'cmd.exe', 'cd' to game directory, YOURGAME.exe). If I'm not wrong, then there should be some messages displayed after starting the game (sorry, I'm not on MS-Windows, so I'm not sure).

PS: It seems to be a common Windows 7 problem, not only with Ren'Py games, but even with solitaire from MS itself:
Microsoft Community: Windows 7 games not working
Microsoft Community: windows 7 games won't run

Please try the solution from the Microsoft Support guy in the MS Community forum.

And if this doesn't help, please check this: STEAM: WORKING FIX for game not starting on win7!

No warranty or guarantee that above procedures won't kill or corrupt your PC, OS or data btw., please backup your data before ;)

ck5000

#9 Post by ck5000 »

Karl_C wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:48 am Have you checked out this one already (scroll down to PyTom's response)?
Ya he said (Check the computer for "game optimizer") could you elaborate more? cuz im not sure what he meant.
as for the antivirus, I deleted my entire antivirus just to make sure but without any luck (I reinstalled it back later on)
and I also tried holding down shift as Ren'Py starts as he said but without any luck...
Karl_C wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:48 am And: Could you try to start your game from the command line (as far as I remember: 'WIN + R', 'cmd.exe', 'cd' to game directory, YOURGAME.exe). If I'm not wrong, then there should be some messages displayed after starting the game (sorry, I'm not on MS-Windows, so I'm not sure).
I'm sorry but could you give me an example? I got lost after " 'cd' to game directory"
Karl_C wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:48 am PS: It seems to be a common Windows 7 problem, not only with Ren'Py games, but even with solitaire from MS itself:
Microsoft Community: Windows 7 games not working
Microsoft Community: windows 7 games won't run
Please try the solution from the Microsoft Support guy in the MS Community forum.
I did, both of the articles focused mainly on running "sfc /scannow" which I did and when it completed it said (Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.) which means that I do not have any missing or corrupted system files I guess.
Karl_C wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:48 am And if this doesn't help, please check this: STEAM: WORKING FIX for game not starting on win7!

No warranty or guarantee that above procedures won't kill or corrupt your PC, OS or data btw., please backup your data before ;)
I tried this one as well it said to (Download and install (the x64 bit version for win7) microsoft update kb2999226) so I downloaded and when I tried to install it, it said (update for window KB2999226 is already installed on this computer) and the second way is in case I got an error...which I didn't.

Karl_C
Veteran

#10 Post by Karl_C »

ck5000 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:48 am
Karl_C wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:48 am And: Could you try to start your game from the command line (as far as I remember: 'WIN + R', 'cmd.exe', 'cd' to game directory, YOURGAME.exe). If I'm not wrong, then there should be some messages displayed after starting the game (sorry, I'm not on MS-Windows, so I'm not sure).
I'm sorry but could you give me an example? I got lost after " 'cd' to game directory"
  • WIN + R
  • cmd.exe
  • C:\Users\ck5000>cd where\yourgame\resides
  • C:\Users\ck5000\where\yourgame\resides>yourgame.exe
Of course you will have to replace 'where\yourgame\resides' with the real path name.

What output is displayed after 'yourgame.exe' + <ENTER> ?