[SOLVED] How to change the confirmation message?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Black Cat 2412
Regular
Projects: Rapunzel: A classic retold
Deviantart: BlackCat2412

[SOLVED] How to change the confirmation message?

#1 Post by Black Cat 2412 »

Good day,
I'm so sorry for this extremely naive question, but I still have to ask:

How can I change the text messages in the confirmation screen (the one pops up when you exit the game/ go back to main menu/ end a replay)???

This seem to be a trivial problem, but I have been stuck for quite a while on it with no result (I tried to Ctrl+F in all of the script files, but I can't find where the text for the message is written) . I found this: https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/screen_s ... ml#confirm and this: viewtopic.php?p=298871 too but :
One, I don't understand at all how to actually code it - being a non-coder and having no code sample.
Two, I don't understand the post either and it is 4 years old, so I think a lot have changed since then.

Thank in advance
Last edited by Black Cat 2412 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dovahkitteh
Veteran
Completed: YDD, RE, CoB, Req
Projects: Red Embrace: Hollywood, The Black Hand
Organization: Argent Games
Tumblr: argentgames
itch: argent-games

Re: How to change the confirmation message?

#2 Post by Dovahkitteh »

Inside the main Ren'Py folder (for the engine), you'll find it in renpy\common\00gui.rpy. There are these strings that you can change:

Code: Select all

ARE_YOU_SURE = _("Are you sure?")
    DELETE_SAVE = _("Are you sure you want to delete this save?")
    OVERWRITE_SAVE = _("Are you sure you want to overwrite your save?")
    LOADING = _("Loading will lose unsaved progress.\nAre you sure you want to do this?")
    QUIT = _("Are you sure you want to quit?")
    MAIN_MENU = _("Are you sure you want to return to the main menu?\nThis will lose unsaved progress.")
    END_REPLAY = _("Are you sure you want to end the replay?")
    SLOW_SKIP = _("Are you sure you want to begin skipping?")
    FAST_SKIP_SEEN = _("Are you sure you want to skip to the next choice?")
    FAST_SKIP_UNSEEN = _("Are you sure you want to skip unseen dialogue to the next choice?")
However, I'm pretty sure that these change them for all your Ren'py games. I'm not sure if there's a way to change them per game, someone with more knowledge might be able to provide a specific answer.

Writer, Programmer, Designer

Programming/Design Commissions

Image Image

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#3 Post by Imperf3kt »

You can just copy them and edit them into your files.

Since 00- files are read first, any changes made later will overwrite whatever 00gui set out.

I used this same trick to get rid of the self.voice text and replace it with an image.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Black Cat 2412
Regular

#4 Post by Black Cat 2412 »

Imperf3kt wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:00 pm You can just copy them and edit them into your files.

Since 00- files are read first, any changes made later will overwrite whatever 00gui set out.

I used this same trick to get rid of the self.voice text and replace it with an image.
Sorry, but I don't quite understand this. Do you mean:
1. I should copy the file "00gui.rpy" from the renpy engine folder into the "game" folder of my game then change it OR
2. I should copy only these lines and paste it into my game script then change it?

Code: Select all

ARE_YOU_SURE = _("Are you sure?")
    DELETE_SAVE = _("Are you sure you want to delete this save?")
    OVERWRITE_SAVE = _("Are you sure you want to overwrite your save?")
    LOADING = _("Loading will lose unsaved progress.\nAre you sure you want to do this?")
    QUIT = _("Are you sure you want to quit?")
    MAIN_MENU = _("Are you sure you want to return to the main menu?\nThis will lose unsaved progress.")
    END_REPLAY = _("Are you sure you want to end the replay?")
    SLOW_SKIP = _("Are you sure you want to begin skipping?")
    FAST_SKIP_SEEN = _("Are you sure you want to skip to the next choice?")
    FAST_SKIP_UNSEEN = _("Are you sure you want to skip unseen dialogue to the next choice?")
I tried both of them, but they did not work.

And I tried go into renpy\common\00gui.rpy to change the text there, too. But that did not work either: The message still stay the same. What did I do wrong?

Divona
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Falconers: Moonlight
Organization: Bionic Penguin
itch: bionicpenguin

#5 Post by Divona »

I wouldn't touch 00gui.rpy if you're not sure what you're doing. Anyhoo, what you're looking for is in folder "game/tl/None/common.rpym". See Translation for more info about this file (TLDR: None is default language).
Completed:

Black Cat 2412
Regular

#6 Post by Black Cat 2412 »

Ah yess, I change the text in the common.rpym file and it works well now. Thank you!